Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Favorite Amps for 6 string
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:44 am 

definately a polytone mini brute 3... best sounding amp for jazz and classic rock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:55 am 

favourite amp...for my rick 360/12 string..for home use, the vox pathfinder w/ reverb reissue is unbeatable...it sounds just like a great vox amp should...only it wont get you thrown in jail by your neighbors....but it will get LOUD and the high end is excellent, great tremolo and it has kicking overdrive too..and no tubes..and no stupid 'modeling'....99 bucks brand new, its a steal..for gigs..i use a souped up princeton reverb with a 12" speaker..reliable and beautiful sound..

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:21 pm 

I have a little Crate VC 508 in the living room, a Carvin Nomad always in the van, Laney LC 30 in my "Jam" metal mansion. So the old stuff rarely gets played, '53 Tweed Twin recovered and went through by Kendrick. '64 Vox AC 30 stock. '55 Tweed Pro 15 inch. '66 Black Twin stock (which I stupidly put silver handles on in the '80's!) A little Forest "White" Fender. A silver face Deluxe I like a lot. A brute of a PV Deuce Ha! One of those Twins with 6 6L6's a forklift has to move! Stuff I have blown up playing guitar through: Shure vocal master, Guild Bass head, my dads Ampex Reel to Reel amp. Stewart power amp. Pignose. And my brother spilled a full beer in a Laney VC30's vents the other day! I'm a packrat..not married but still happy.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:59 am 

Found some great AMP comparisons / Kits to Build / speaker selection / for Teles' on this site:

http://telecaster.com/viewtopic.php?t=40136

5watt Boutique Amps.

15-20watt Amp Kits.

:Fast becoming the interest for home recording,
do it yourself Kits seem the way to go.

My Current Amp Stash:

1962 MARSHALL BluesBreaker 50watt Combo Twin
1977 ORANGE Reverb Twin Combo
1974 SOUND CITY SMF 120 4x10
1959 FENDER Tweed Champ
1954 FENDER Tweed DeLuxe
195? SUPRO wooden 1x10
1963 AMPEG Jet
1970 MARSHALL 8x10 Lead Cabinet
[former owner: Ace Frehley / KIZZ]

Next 'Twin' will be a VOX 'Royal Guardsman'/
Blue Celestion 15 watt VOX speakers or
a set of Weber speakers to replace the Factory
30 watt Eminence 'Black Dog' barkers.

I'd love a M-16 or M-22 RICKENBACKER !

Where are all the Transonic Series Amps being kept ?;)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:24 am 

Most of my amps sound good with most of my guitars. I just got a Dr Z Maz 18, and it's to me, a cross between a fender and marshall, with the lean more to a fender, but with my Rics it sounded good. Does the minor break up thing and roll down to clean just great.
My DC-30 sounds better with the Ric of course, but it's nearly 2 1/2x the price.

Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:58 am 

I've got a Peavey Delta Blues 210. EL 84 & 12AX7 tubes. It sound smooth, punchy & sweet when set clean. I've hardly used my overdrive since I got the 4080, it sounds so good clean!
The best sounding amp I've ever heard was a '64 Super Reverb. Mint condition blackface, absolutely beautiful amp.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:40 am 

Howdy,

Today I tried using a capo for my MG 360/6 to play "Midnight Rambler". Plugged into my trusty old '68 Vibro Champ, put the volume on 7 for just a touch of overdrive (think "Green Onions, or slightly less overdrive).
I set my blender knob around 70% of the neck p/u and began firing the opening salvos. WOW! There was adequate sustain, to my surprise and the tone was totally nasty! Similar to "Fire Down Below" with the switch in the middle. Perfect gutsy mids and enough treble to cut through. This was serious fun! Rickenbacker: Not just for Bassists and 12-stringers anymore! Of course here on this forum I guess that's understood :)

Eggman

PS: Bender, I once played through a '65 Super Reverb at a Blues Jam (my JG 330/6, and yes it drew some comments, mostly surprise and distaste from dedicated "bloozers"!)and indeed I've never sounded better!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:05 am 

Mesa Blue Angel

Mine sounds amazing through the heavy gain channel of a Dual Caliber series too :-)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 am 

I use a Marshall JTM 622 - all tube, 60 watt with 2 12" speakers. It sounds fabulous. I used to have a Fender Vibrolux which was good, now I'm waiting on the Vox AC15 to come out. It would seem that Rickenbackers sound good through virtually anything.

Board index » Just Guitars