Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Amps for 6 string
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:00 am 

Dare to be different. Try a crunch amp like a Marshall Valvestate, Crate BV120 or a even Roland JC120. I have had a lot of fun using my 12s through these. After all, Jimmy Page broke new ground playing an "old man's guitar".

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:19 am 

I'm not a professional musician by any means. In fact I'm very much a student of guitars. So I play in my living room or my bedroom with my fireglo 330 and a Rickenbacker TR14 amp. Not very impressive but it works for me. I also have a Fender M80 but it crackles a lot and gives me small heart attacks. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:49 pm 

Rick 620/6 into a Vox AC15 (Korg Reissue with blue alnico). I just got this guitar the other day and brought it to band practice the other night. The vox cut out on me twice! Incredible sound with this combination, but the reliability of the vox is becoming more of a concern. (BTW sounds great with a vox valve-tone pedal in there also) I'm going to have the tech tune up the vox, but I may be looking for another amp. I wonder why matchless, tophat, and bogner do not offer an alnico speak option with their amps.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:31 am 

also tech21 10w amp with settings: tweed-hot-uk, gain 11-12, bass 12, mid 11, treble 12.30, reverb 8.30, master suit for yourself for the situation ... it is the best so far I have got out from 330 plugged in. Rick is bit tricky with settings but kinda tele sound thinking is a good hint.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:34 am 

Marshall 100watt head & two 4x12's. Works for me!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:44 am 

I've been playing through a Budda Verbmaster combo for the last couple of years and absolutely love it

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 am 

Quote:
Rick 620/6 into a Vox AC15 (Korg Reissue with blue alnico). I just got this guitar the other day and brought it to band practice the other night. The vox cut out on me twice! Incredible sound with this combination, but the reliability of the vox is becoming more of a concern. (BTW sounds great with a vox valve-tone pedal in there also) I'm going to have the tech tune up the vox, but I may be looking for another amp. I wonder why matchless, tophat, and bogner do not offer an alnico speak option with their amps.

I know atleast at TopHat, Brian G favors his amps with Celestion G12H30's. I'm sure if a customer wanted a blue in their amp cab, they could e-mail or call Brian and make a special request. He's a super cool and nice guy, and makes a darn good amp

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:27 am 

The Top Hat amps do look like a really good buy for a hand-wired amp. It's hard to find a dealer though; the closest one to me is about 7 hours away. I tried a used Ambassador 35 a while back but it did not seem to have the sound I was looking for. It may have been the tubes (6V6s), it may have been the fact that it was used, or it may have been the guitar I was using (a Paul Reed Smith). I should go back and try it again with a Rick. The Club Royale looks like a good amp (Class A with EL84s), but I don't know anyone who has any. Maybe I should look at some of the Rick dealers in the area, perhaps they have some used ones.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:09 am 

Eggman, I would have to say my current amp
a reissue Vox AC-30TBX. I'm kinda like old
school I like tube amps. If I had another tube
amp it would be a reissue 65 Fender Twin Reverb.
I've played some ss amps that do sound good it
was at my friend's house he has a Vox Supreme
that he bought from the Music ground in England.
Lou D

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:43 pm 

I was always under the impression that a great electric guitar tone was 1/2 guitar and 1/2 amp. I am starting to wonder about this. My vox is currently in the shop, so, the other night I played a Paul Reed Smith into my friends Peavey JSX (Joe Satriani) Half Stack. The band complained that the tone was too dark, and it was. Yesterday for the concert I brought out the Rickenbacker. I would have never thought that this would be a good combination, with the Peavey being an amp built for heavy distortion. However, the Rickenbacker "sang" through the amp and the feedback from the band was very positive. When I got home, I plugged the rickenbacker into my computer and played through the "AirWave" speakers. Again, the sound was terrific. Then, the ultimate test - I pulled out the GORILLA TC-35 TUBE CRUNCHER and plugged in... Just kidding, I sold this amp back in 1988. But I bet the Rick would still sound good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Guitars