Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: neck profile/ CNC machine
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

does anybody know when Rickenbacker started shaping its guitar necks with CNC machines?i have a '92 610 and really like the neck it is a bit chunky and fits my hand quite well.i'm now looking for a 330/360/12 and would like a similar neck.Were these necks all shaped by machine in the '80s/early '90s or by hand(less consistant)? Any comments would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: neck profile/ CNC machine
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:21 pm 

I believe that you'll find the 600 series guitars have the 'chunkier' style of neck that the 300 series don't. My 650S I would characterize as having a thicker neck than my 325V39.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:01 am 

i have a 2002 360/12 and its neck is definitely chunkier than my 2004 660/12. its easilly noticed when putting on a capo. the 660 is thinner from top of fretboard to back of neck, but wider from low E to high E. i love them both, but the 660 is more comfortable for me. and i definitely suggest toasters on any 12 string to really get that classic electric 12 sound.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:45 pm 

thanks for the comments.i'm wondering if buying an early 90's 330 0r 360/12 would have the same neck as the early '90s 610.since i'll probably be buying on ebay iwon't get to try it out.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:14 pm 

You never know which neck profile you will get, when you buy a Rickenbacker guitar. It seems that the models 620, 650D and 650S tend to have chunkier necks, while the 325s, 350s, 360s and 650Cs have thinner necks. But this is just my personal experience with the Ricks I tried out. It does not seem to depend on the year the guitars were built. As far as 330s are concerned I have both seen some of them with conviniently thin necks and some with rather chunky necks.

I think it would be a great improvement, if Rickenbacker would give precise statements about the neck profile of the different models.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Short of providing cross sectional diagrams, this type of description is totally subjective.

In any case, we offer a range of neck profiles across the line so that a wider range of preferences can be satisfied.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:38 am 

the reason i was asking is that since there aren't very many rickenbackers available locally to try out, i was hoping to use ebay for the purchase ,i just don't want to buy one from a distance with a neck i don't like.Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:45 am 

Quote:
Short of providing cross sectional diagrams, this type of description is totally subjective.

In any case, we offer a range of neck profiles across the line so that a wider range of preferences can be satisfied.

John, I think it would be a great improvement, if you would publish such cross sectional diagrams for the differnet models on the homepage. And if there is a choice between different neck profiles for a particular model it would be great if one could choose between different options. On the other hand I must admit that this would probably be a little complicated.

The problem is that you cannot go to a shop, play 10 different 620s and then choose the one with the neck most comfortable to your taste, like you could do with a Stratocaster f.e. Many people who buy one of your guitars do not have a chance to play it before they order it just like rmricky has told us.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:38 pm 

assuming that all early 90s rick necks were shaped on a CNC(i don't know this it was part of the origional question) would they all be shaped the same at least across a model line? is a 610,620 ,620/12 the same neck part?Obviously a 300 series neck would be a different part

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:06 pm 

If you ordered a new Ric, can you ask to have a specific profile made for you or is it just the profile currently being made by the factory (irrespective of the model, of course)?

Any enlightening details, Mr. Hall?

Thanks!!

Board index » Just Guitars