Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Well gang, a 330 followed me home!
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:58 am 

Yep, bought my first Rickenbacker today! A 330 model in Jetglo. To say that this guitar is a work of art is an understatement. The workmanship, feel and playability of this guitar is truly a thing to behold in this day and age. When I try out a guitar for the first time I don't plug it in. I prefer to play it un-amplified for two reasons: to get an idea of what it sounds like on it's own and to get somewhat of a feel for it. I played it that way for a good 45 minutes. On it's own I found it to sound very clear and balanced while leaning towards the lighter side of the spectrum. As far as the playability what can I say? Flawless, effortless with nothing fighting me at all and with the controls well out of the way. (Thank you).
Within five minutes of plugging it into an amp I knew this guitar was coming home with me because it had the qualities that I was looking for which was a clear top end that had some strength to the sound. The real kicker is the blend knob. What an outstanding feature to have on a two pickup guitar. Could'nt believe the differant shades I was able to get with the aid of the blend control.
I was rather surprised by something while playing it at the store, which was I had a small audience! After about 10 minutes I looked up and there was about 7 people listening to me and I did'nt even know it! I think they were digging on the Rics tone as much as I was because it's so differant and unique. It definatley has it's own thing going that you don't hear everyday.
My main reason for buying the 330 was to have a guitar (or should I say, the right guitar) to be used mainly for a clean rhythm thing. I have no reason to doubt the good folks who've said it's more than that but for right now I'm just taking it a step at a time and focusing on the rhythm thing. Sounds fantastic thru my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue! Add a touch of delay and wow!
I know it's new and I'm in the "honeymoon" phase right now but I have no doubt that I made the right decision. I'm going to play it for a good few weeks and I'll get back with the kind folks here for a more objective review.
One more thing: I was trying to think of a word, just one word to describe the overall look of this guitar and to me only one word comes to mind. "Sexy." It is indeed one sexy looking guitar. Because of it's simple appointments it reminds me of a good looking woman who does'nt need any makeup because it would spoil what's already pefect!

Post subject: Re: Well gang, a 330 followed me home!
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:10 am 

Quote:
The workmanship, feel and playability of this guitar is truly a thing to behold in this day and age. When I try out a guitar for the first time I don't plug it in. I prefer to play it un-amplified for two reasons: to get an idea of what it sounds like on it's own and to get somewhat of a feel for it. I played it that way for a good 45 minutes. On it's own I found it to sound very clear and balanced while leaning towards the lighter side of the spectrum.
Wait until it gets to be 20+ years old. My 360/12 is pushing 40 years old and sustains better with age!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:38 am 

thats nice that it was in stock, I'll be waiting 8 to 12 mo's for mine! congrats on the purchase!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:45 am 

Vics... congratulations!

I want your problem. I want a 330 to follow me home. :)

Now don't worry about us; get back to playing that Ric.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:43 am 

I'm a bassist and I wouldn't mind a 330 following me home. I used to have one that I am sorry I sold.

Congrats on your new guitar.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:42 am 

Vics - congrats on your new 330!! Yes, they are indeed beautiful works of art!! I love both the designs of the 330 and the 360...nothing like the thinline hollow body series!! The '68 366-12 I now have is absolutely amazing!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:19 pm 

;-) Better than the "what is that, an electric ukelele?" response my 5002 got from our drummer!

Right now we're auditioning new guitarist/vocalists and each one that auditions comments on my Rics. They definitely warrant some reaction!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:56 am 

Yes, that's a nice perk. Every time I pull out my 660/12, which cost about the same as my strat I might add, people's jaws literally drop. It's a shiny jewel of a guitar.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:22 pm 

Don't need to think of it as a "honeymoon period"... it is more like finally achieving oneness with what you ahve always believed was your musical karma. You have arrived... you are making your mark and statement. Playing a Ric draws a crowd because everyone is amazed that people actually can play them.

It is the strangest thing (kind of like Apple computers)... people who have never played a Ric blow them off as hard to play, bad sound, hard to get and all the other things. But once you play one (or use a Mac) you realize that everyone else is crazy.

You just keep your sanity to yourself because those of us who know don't need convincing and those who don't will never be understand....

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:10 am 

That's funny...a yummy 330 fireglo followed me home too... A TR14 amp did too... they must've been attracted to the Beatle aura at my house...Hmmm.

Board index » Just Guitars