Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: My first Rickenbacker!
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:55 pm 

Hello all,

I just received my 350V63 yesterday in the mail from Musician's Friend.

It's BLUE.

The neck is fantastic as is the action and the guitar holds its tuning very well.

I have a VOX Valvetronix amp with compliments my Ric very well. My sound is very much in the Dylan/Beatles vein so it made sense for me to get a Ric.

So please leave your stories about your first Ric.

Thanks!

Peace,
John McManus

Post subject: Re: My first Rickenbacker!
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:21 pm 

Quote:

So please leave your stories about your first Ric.

Howdy,

Back in Early 1968 when I was just a mere youth, I went to 48th Street in NYC to purchase my first Ric. I didn't know anything about guitars, but I knew that I wanted the 12 string sound of The Byrds and the color of John Lennon's guitar (The Jetglo one that he played on the Ed Sullivan Show) and that it had to be a Rickenbacker. Anyway, after searching all of the stores that were there at the time, there was only one jetglo that fit what I wanted. I placed my $230.00 (plus sales tax) on the counter (Keeping in mind that to a kid in 1968 $230 was a lot of money) and left with a Brand New Dec. 1967 Jetglo 456/12 which included the hard shell silver Ric case. (The one with the convertible comb). Since I was and still am mostly a rhythm player, I used the comb quite a bit in the beginning. (Until I purchased my next Ric 6 string). I still have that guitar and it is in near mint condition. One thing that I can say is that I never had to do a truss rod adjustment on that guitar and to this day some 39 years later the neck is still perfectly straight!! The only thing that I wonder is how the $230 translates into 2006 dollars.

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:41 pm 

The first Ric I ordered was way back in 1980/81 it was a 320/5 can't remember exactly in Azureglo, I waited and waited and it never arrived, finally I gave in and got a Fender Strat instead. Guess what arrived a couple of days later, yes the Azureglo 320/325 I could even look at it cause I couldn't afford both of them. Speak about being shattered.

However after another 20+ year wait I finally got my Rickenbacker, a Mapleglo 4003. The sweetest bass I have ever played.

Steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:32 am 

Quote:
Back in Early 1968 when I was just a mere youth, I went to 48th Street in NYC to purchase my first Ric . . .

Great story Steve. In 1971 I went to all the stores on the west side looking for a bass. I found a beautiful red one in one of the stores but didn't have any money with me. I came back the next day and it was gone. (!)
Lesson: always have your money with you when instrument shopping!

- Mark

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm 

Quote:
...I wonder is how the $230 translates into 2006 dollars.

That works out to be $1272.59 in 2005 dollars (the 2006 price won't be calculable until year's end.)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 pm 

My first Ricky... Hmmm... It was 1985, Boston, was in High School, wanted to learn the bass. Bought a Jetglo 4003 for $400. I think it was a late 70s model that was kept under the bed.. Sadly, I sold it in 1994.

My second Ricky came a year later, it was a Jetglo 620/12. I wanted to play Beatles, but couldn't afford the 360/12WB at the gime. In 1989 I broke up with this girl that I had been seeing for a few years, took back a jewelry gift I gave her, sold that, bought the Fireglo 360/12WB. I was happy!!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:44 am 

My first Rick is the beautiful 2002 Fireglo 660/6 that I bought last year, this is what I wrote on the forum back then...

'Funnily enough the 660/6 hung in 'Jackson's Rare Guitars' here in Sydney for the last 3 years, no one wanted it!

I was going to buy a Gibson custom shop Les Paul Junior when I spied the 660/6 which I knew was there but had sort of overlooked like everyone else, Steve Jackson let me take both home to try, it was no contest the Junior went back the next day and I discovered the excellence and beauty of Rickenbackers.'

Since then I have acquired another Blue Burst 660/6, a Mapleglo 350V63, Montezuma Brown 350V63 and a lone Blueboy 650C, that's five Ricks in less than a year!

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:47 am 

Congratulations Jumpshipmusic. My first was a new '79 burgundyglo 360, which I purchased with a friend who bought a new '79 jetglo 320, both on 48th in NYC.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:57 am 

Late 1981: I was 17 years old and a major Beatlenut. I actually had had dreams about acquiring a Lennon-style Rick, but didn't even know where to get one. (Rick guitars were not available in those days where I lived.)

While on a family trip to NYC, my dad was cool about taking me to West 48th St. to slobber over all the cool gear. I spotted a fireglo 320 in Sam Ash and sat down to play a Rick for the first time in my life. My enthusiasm must've been obvious, because my dad kinda off-handedly said, "Do you like that one?" The next thing I know, his credit card was being handed to a salesperson and the Rick was MINE. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. That was probably the coolest thing my old man ever did for me!!

Unfortunately I no longer have that 320. I regrettably sold it shortly after buying my SECOND Rick in June 1984, a brand new fireglo 330 that I still own and cherish.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:27 am 

Howdy,

Enjoy that new Rickenbacker, Jumpship! It's a special feeling, getting that first Ricky. I love my MG 360/6. I'm a huge Beatles/British Invasion fan, so Rickenbackers are natural to me. I hope to acquire another this year.

Eggman

Board index » Just Guitars