Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 360/12 with reversed G strings? Or 360/11?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 am 

Sorry if this is addressed here before; haven't found useful search terms...

My 360/12 is just about my favorite, but for two problems: it's heavy, and I can't play it all that well. Aside from that pesky skill issue (mostly lack thereof), both of these are age-related issues. I can mitigate the weight thing by switching off...

But arthritis and that skinny neck often leads to sour notes from incidental contact with the plain steel high G string. I haven't had that same issue with the other 12-strings I've owned or played over the last 60 years or so... so I' wondering if the issue is exacerbated by the Ric string order.

If so, perhaps I could swap the order of the wound and plain G strings? Don't have a feeler gauge around here just now, but I can't see much difference in width between the nut slots. Maybe something like the Elixer .017 wound string would fit in the slot cut for the plain steel string? Has anyone tried this?

Or maybe it's just a goofy idea?

In the meantime, playing it as a 360/11 has at least eliminated the sour notes...

-D44

Post subject: Re: 360/12 with reversed G strings? Or 360/11?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm 

Hi I am in the UK. I used to have a Tom Petty Limited Edition 660/12 and up until recently it was the only twelve string I had ever played. Then June last year I bought a Taylor 656ce twelve string and I have to say I think the order of the strings on a Rick as well as giving a totally different sound make it a lot easier to play with the thicker string first. So my answer to you is I wouldn't bother as I don't think it will help and it would probably disrupt the sound of the guitar.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm 

Look at the bigger picture. You are nicking an octave string. If you reverse the pair, you are just as likely, if not moreso, to nick the unison string, being larger in diameter. Even as my finger joints ache as I have grown older, I make myself work extra hard when playing my 12-string to get my thumb in the middle of the back of the neck so I can curve my fingers in the traditional "C" hand position to get more of the tip of each finger on a pair of strings rather than the flat in the middle of my fingerprint, which helps avoid the adjacent strings. Good luck!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:48 am 

Good points. Probably means 360/11 is the best I can do...

And I know it's not Ric's reversed courses that are causing my problem. On my other 12-string (Ovation Legend) and all the others I've played or owned over the years, it hasn't been an issue because the fingerboard on those have been "just wider enough"... and then my more recent hand issues are just making it more noticeable I guess.

Thanks for thoughts.

-D44

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm 

The 660/12 has the wider 1 3/4 inch nut compared to the narrow nut on the 360-12.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm 

If a wider neck would definitely solve your problem, trade in your 360 for a 660 or a 1993Plus.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm 

Hello, sorry this is a bit late, I only drop by from time to time, but I hope this may help.

I used to play a 350V63/12 but now prefer my Guild Starfire 12, also because of the wider neck, an issue that has been mentioned.
I was never keen on the ringing octave G (on all 12 strings I played); a personal thing that to me sounded mis-placed in some solo’s or when fingerpicking. I replaced the octave G with a unison wound G, that preserved the 12 string sound without any great noticeable sound degradation.
This also has the bonus of slightly less string tension (on the G pair), and may help ease your fretting issues to some degree.
This is only my opinion of course, but hope it may help you.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 am 

The 660/12 and 1993 Plus are both great deluxe models. Getting into the higher end range but worth it if you can scrape up the cash.

Board index » Just Guitars