Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Starting to crave another Ric...12 or 6 string?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am 

I’ve been craving adding a second Rickenbacker to my collection lately. I currently have a 620/6 in Fireglo that I love. It is the only quality guitar I’ve ever purchased new. I once owned a 610 in midnight blue as well, and sold it in a fit of stupidity when I thought I needed a guitar to play heavier music.

I’ve been writing more alternative/Indy music lately and I want to add a 330 to my collection (someday I’ll have an arsenal of Rics I hope!). I am having trouble deciding between a 6 or 12 string. I write some on my Seagull 12 string, and believe most of my music would translate to electric 12, I currently record it on my 620. I play through a Bad Cat Cougar 5, an Ampeg GVT5 and a Fender Ramparte, so nothing that is crystal clean, they all have a bit of grit to them. I found a Ruby Red and Walnut 12 that I can purchase nearby (within a few hours). My local dealer had also told me a good price on a Fireglo 6 if I want to order one. Eventually I want to own the 6 and 12 version, but I can’t decide which way to go first.

Post subject: Re: Starting to crave another Ric...12 or 6 string?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:35 pm 

Since you already have a Ric 6-string, why not go for the 12? I recently purchased a new Ric 330/12 MapleGlo and I would certainly recommend it to anyone. It's a beautiful, wonderful guitar, is a joy to play and the sound is incredible. When I tried it out, I compared it with a 360/12 and 370/12, and I thought the 330/12 actually sounded a little better than the two more expensive models.

I had wanted a Ric 12-string for years but had never played one and was a little wary, having heard stories about how difficult they are to play with the narrow neck and close-spaced strings. But although it took a little getting used to, it was easier than I thought. I do need to be precise with my finger placement and did have to slightly alter the way I played some chords, but I quickly got used to the fingering and it is very easy to play. I can see how people with larger hands and fingers may have a problem, but Rickenbacker does make the 660/12 and 1993Plus with a wider neck.

My first guitar was a 12-string acoustic, which I've played for many years, so I was expecting it was going to take some physical effort to play the Ric 12. But the Ric is nothing like that at all, the action is so low and effortless that it feels just like playing a 6-string. It's easier to play than my Fender Strat. Anything you can play on a 6-string, you can play on a Ric 12. True, it may not sound exactly right for certain musical styles, but I would say at least 70% of the stuff I play sounds great on the 330/12.

I guess if you are really stuck on the 6 versus 12 question, you could shell out the bucks for a vintage 366/12 convertible. I've seen those on Reverb.com and YouTube, and the 6 to 12 string muting gadget seems to work OK, although somewhat cumbersome to use and ugly looking. Or shell out even more bucks for a 362/12 6 & 12-string double-neck.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm 

IMO, if you were to have one Rickenbacker guitar, it should be a 12 string.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm 

Since you already have a 620, I would try a 300 series 12-string. Variety is the spice of...well you know.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 am 

I want to chime in about the RIC 620. Out of my 10 guitars (7 of which are RICs), I think my 620 MID blue is the best all around guitar. With a broad frequency response, this thing has an amazing tone that is completely compatible with the high gain distortion that I like. All the while maintaining an exclusively Rickenbacker sound. Feels like coming home. :D

Great for blues or Rock or country or anything. My only desire would be for 24 instead of 21 frets. I am going to get a mapleglo with black trim amber aged when I find "the one". Wish they still made them. This is a must have for me and I am really feeling it today.

C'mon John. Respectfully, how about 24 frets on the 620?
It's a sleeper. 8-)

BTW I have 2 650s. Different guitars entirely.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
IMO, if you were to have one Rickenbacker guitar, it should be a 12 string.

Unless you find a GREAT deal on a Rickenbacker 6-string!

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 pm 

Get the 12, and if you can always turn it into a 6 string (remove octave strings) if you need to!! :idea:

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:17 am 

I'm with everybody else. When I got my 12 string, I of course played all the cliche REM/Byrds/Beatles/Who stuff, but as time wore on, that 330/12 got used for all kind of things that aren't "supposed" to work. George Harrison supposedly said the twelve is like an organ, and I have found that to be a workable analogy; when I'm open-minded and let the guitar do its thing, remarkable things happen. There is a ton of depth to the Ric twelves, and as somebody already mentioned, you can always run it with six strings, if you want to.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:22 pm 

Noobie here. Just snagged a mint 2014 Fireglo 360/12 off Craigslist this past weekend. It'll go great with my Fireglo 360/6 that I also got off CL a couple years ago!

I'd post pics if I could figure out how to do it... I keep getting a message saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image"...

Post subject: Starting to crave another Ric...12 or 6 string?
 Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:39 pm 

Did the Original Poster ever decide on 6 or 12 string for his second Rickenbacker ? I think I would side with those who recommended a 300 series 12 string .... provides you with lots of options and a lot of depth, as mentioned ... plus you could always remove the octave strings if the six string mode was desired.

Board index » Just Guitars