Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 650D Dakota Changed Controls & Pickups
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 am 

Back in 2008 I modded my 650D Dakota and put a set of colorful Seymour Duncans in it. Some liked it, most did not:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9499

I even swapped the chrome pick guard for a wood one but eventually went back with the factory chrome one.

Over the last few years I've migrated to guitars that have a single MV & MT controls. Last month I decided to convert my 620-12 & 650D to single MV & MT. I did the 620-12 first:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15958

When I swapped the pickups in my 650 I used push-pull pots for coiltaps and a phase switch. In the last 5 years I have hardly ever used them - never live for sure.

So I got rid of the push-pulls and put the factory pots back in. Simplified everything.

I decided to put a chrome cover on the SD blue Jazz pickup at the neck as I have been using covered pickups a lot lately in the neck position like this one:

Well, when I put the cover on the Jazz pickup it wouldn't fit in the neck of the 650. The route was just a bit too narrow and I decided not to route out any more wood.

I had also decided to replace the JB at the bridge with a double creme one. I thought it would look better with the chrome cover in the neck. Come to find out Seymour Dundcan does NOT make pickups with double creme bobbins as that is a trade mark of DiMarzio pickups. So I bought a double creme DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Classic for the neck. I had to do minor routing as the DiMarzios are slightly different in depth to get them level in the existing routes.

Tony Dudzik at Pick Guardian made the replacement chrome plastic pick guard:

http://www.pickguardian.com

Tony does fantastic work! Highly recommended!

Today I finished getting everything wired up and installed. I set it up with a set of .010 to .046 strings.

Closer view:

Sounds good, plays well, and I like the look of the double creme exposed bobbins. And having a single volume control makes it easy for me. Like I did to the 620-12, the pickup selector switch goes left to right rather than up & down to select a pickup.

Post subject: Re: 650D Dakota Changed Controls & Pickups
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:43 pm 

Looks much better with the double creme pu's.

Post subject: Re: 650D Dakota Changed Controls & Pickups
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:08 pm 

Rickadelphia wrote:
Looks much better with the double creme pu's.

Thanks! Maybe we do get smarted as we get older :) !

Board index » Just Guitars