Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 620-12 Changed controls
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:29 pm 

I love my 620-12 Mapleglo w/black hardware. It's a 1989 that I've owned since Jan 2000.

One thing that I have never been comfortable with are the separate vol/tone & blend controls. Over the last 6 years I've migrated to guitars that have a single vol and a single tone control for multiple pickups. I find it much easier to control the guitar when playing live to just have one vol that controls all the pickups. Most of my Strats have only two controls. I decided to simplify my 620-12 controls.

I pulled the lower pick guard and sent it to Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian.

http://www.pickguardian.com/

He made a copy with holes for one vol, one tone, and the pickup switch. I used a typical wiring scheme like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... h_1v_1t_3w

It was quite easy to do. Here's the underside of the pick guard:

With the extra space I was able to orient the pickup switch so that it travels left to right (not up and down) which I find more logical - put the switch left toward the neck and the neck pickup is selected. Push it right toward the bridge and the bridge pickup is selected. Of course in the middle both are selected.

Detail:

Note that stereo output is not possible with a single set of controls. Since I never use stereo that was not an issue for me.

This mod is fully reversible. I have the original bottom pick guard and the other pots, cap, & knobs safely stored away.

I'm in the process of doing this to my 650D Dakota guitar as well. For me, it makes sense and makes playing my Ricks a lot more enjoyable.

Post subject: Re: 620-12 Changed controls
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm 

I did something sort of similar to a '73 4001 I had that a friend of mine now owns. I set it up as VVT with a vintage switch for the .0047µF cap on the bridge pickup. I eventually put the stock pickguard/controls back on the bass but still have the modded one (pickguard by Pickguardian, of course 8-) ).

On your guitar, for me, I would have arranged the controls so that the volume control was in a position to easily do volume swells which I am fond of doing the Phil Keaggy way.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 pm 

Here is how the factory wires two pickups, selector switch, MV & MT:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19516.pdf

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:42 am 

iiipopes wrote:
Here is how the factory wires two pickups, selector switch, MV & MT:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19516.pdf

Thanks!

Interesting. I'll try that circuit when I wire up my 650D and compare them.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 am 

jps wrote:
....On your guitar, for me, I would have arranged the controls so that the volume control was in a position to easily do volume swells which I am fond of doing the Phil Keaggy way.

I have a number of guitars with the vol knob next to the bridge pickup. They get in my way and I don't do swells that way. I have a Vox volume foot pedal that I use when I want to do a swell (not often).

The beauty of doing your own pick guard is that you can place the controls where YOU want them, not where the factory says they have to go.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 pm 

I like the simplicity of the controls! I've often thought of rewiring my Rick, using only the top two knobs (volume and tone) for the guitar, and disconnecting the bottom two. This would bypass the blend (which I don't use) but I'd like to keep the other knobs, even though they'd be "dummy" knobs, just to keep the original vibe.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've always preferred a simple setup like this. However, when we used this exact circuit in all the 200 and 2000 Series instruments, we were reviled for doing so. You can't win!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:14 pm 

I think this is a great idea because if I'm currently using both pickups on my 660/12 or the 3 on my 350v63, I can't just turn down one knob for the volume. Having two dummy knobs to keep the look is a good idea.

I do however like to use the blender knob to tweak the sound and wouldn't mess with that.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
I've always preferred a simple setup like this. However, when we used this exact circuit in all the 200 and 2000 Series instruments, we were reviled for doing so. You can't win!

Very true sir! That has to be frustrating!

Perhaps a model designation that would indicate two controls would solve it such as 620-2 or 650-2 for the 620/650 with simple two knob controls and let customers special order them through their dealers that way.

Or make kits a Rickenbacker dealer could order to convert some models to two controls.

Board index » Just Guitars