Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Recommend a good amp for a 620
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am 

Hi folks,

I am looking for an amp that will do my 620 justice. At the moment I am using a Peavey Vypyr modelling amp... enough said!

I am looking to spend no more than £150, call it $250.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Recommend a good amp for a 620
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:39 am 

Hmm... With $250, I'm not sure you're going to do your 620 justice. There are good amps in that range, though. Roland modeling amps, Fender Champ 600 and other variants, Vox Pathfinders... I recommend saving a little, though. A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Vox AC15 can work wonders with your 620.

I hear good things about the Vypers, though. See, the thing about modeling amps is that you have to tinker with them a lot to find a good tone sometimes. Even the Line 6 Spiders can get good sounds if you just know how to dial in the right sound with the right channel. I enjoyed my Spider II with my 620/12, though I only have one amp now (Marshall JMD).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 pm 

Amp for what application? Bedroom practice? Jamming with friends? Stage amp? Personal monitor with a line out?

If you want to stay with a modelling amp, Vox does make a 40-watt VT40+ that is about £150, maybe a little more with shipping. Your UK catalog "big box" stores seem to have it in stock:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_ ... 1711385129
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... -Cable/N38

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:36 am 

If you want "all bells and whistles" for £150 than a modeling amp is gonna be your best bet, personally I find them a bit like satellite TV a whole lot of choices but nothing much worth watching, not to say you can't find great tone but it might take a bit of work.
If you want good tube tone in a small package try picking up a used Vox AC4 C1 and if you can stretch your budget a bit further get the 12 inch version for a bigger sound.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:12 pm 

If I was looking for something in that price range, I would definitely check out an Orange Micro Terror. I've not tried one yet, but I have a Tiny Terror and its a solid little amp. The Micro has a 12AX7 preamp with a 20 W solid state output stage. By the time you add some sort of cabinet, you'll probably be on the high side of your target, but might be worth it. Probably worth a listen, at least.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:00 pm 

For bedroom and late-night practice, I've been getting good things out of my Roland JS8 (there's also a JS10). It's pretty versatile and I can use it with the Ric, Strats, Gretsch and even the electro-accoustics on my wall.

For everything else, it's the old reliable Roland JC77 with the two tens. Just stay out of the built-in distortion. JC77's can be had used for a reasonable sum...

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:38 pm 

Yeah, a Vox AC15 works really well with a 620. Or how about a used 1970's silver face Fender amp, like a Twin reverb or a Deluxe Reverb?

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 pm 

Fender Blues Jr should sound just fine. 15 tube watts is plenty and they take OD and distortion pedals very well. Nothing wrong with the aforementioned AC15 either.

Board index » Just Guitars