Board index » Just Guitars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 22
Hi,

I know this subject has been covered and I have researched it, but I have just one simple question that seems unanswered.

Toaster v Hi Gain pickups

The jury seems to be out on which is the better of the two and it seems 50/50 as to which is the most preferred; just horses for courses I guess but........

If there is no discernible difference between the two, why is there such a BIG difference in the price?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 4038
Location: Santa Ana, CA
theonemanband wrote:
If there is no discernible difference between the two, why is there such a BIG difference in the price?


Heck of a lot more magnet in the Toaster and Alnico at that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 am
Posts: 22
Thank you John,

So, on my new 620/12 (Hi Gain pup's) would that account for my issue that, having set the volume for strumming/rhythm playing (both pup's 100% full volume), any soloing/lead passages in the same song don't seem to have any projection or volume and seem to disappear in the mix (typically strings 1/2/3 around 12th-15th fret area).

Would you suggest that Toasters are a better "all round" pickup for both rhythm plus then projecting solos & lead work in the same song?
If so, would they be a straight replacement for the HiGain and, are the bridge & neck toasters for the 620 the same specs?

I would really appreciate any advice.....

Cheers..............Brian


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: NE Ohio
theonemanband wrote:
If there is no discernible difference between the two, why is there such a BIG difference in the price?

They are totally different pickups, just about the only thing the same is most of the outside dimensions.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 3847
And the type of wire on the coil. Otherwise, different bobbing, different magnets, different amounts of wire on the coil, etc.

I believe the new high-gains with the adjustible pole pieces to be the most versatile and best-toned pickups RIC has ever made.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Chicagoland
iiipopes wrote:
And the type of wire on the coil. Otherwise, different bobbing, different magnets, different amounts of wire on the coil, etc.

I believe the new high-gains with the adjustible pole pieces to be the most versatile and best-toned pickups RIC has ever made.


Yeah, they are great pickups, but for a 12-str, I'd still go with toasters. That's me, though. I'm also not particularly inclined to play much lead on a 12-str, so can't really give the OP much advice there, other than maybe trying a clean boost or treble boost pedal.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 4038
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Ric5150 wrote:
Yeah, they are great pickups, but for a 12-str, I'd still go with toasters. That's me, though. I'm also not particularly inclined to play much lead on a 12-str, so can't really give the OP much advice there, other than maybe trying a clean boost or treble boost pedal.


There's a fairly high profile record coming out soon that has a 360/12 all over it that redefines the sound. A 360/12 with RIC humbuckers . . .


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 997
Location: The Independent Republic Of Florida
Sounds Interesting / Any chance of it becoming a regular issue?

_________________
"A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 3847
JohnHall wrote:
Ric5150 wrote:
Yeah, they are great pickups, but for a 12-str, I'd still go with toasters. That's me, though. I'm also not particularly inclined to play much lead on a 12-str, so can't really give the OP much advice there, other than maybe trying a clean boost or treble boost pedal.


There's a fairly high profile record coming out soon that has a 360/12 all over it that redefines the sound. A 360/12 with RIC humbuckers . . .

Gotta ask: the current HB-1's, or a new type of humbucker?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Toaster/High Gain
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 4038
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The current HB1.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Just Guitars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ
X