Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: New 325 owner, question about strings...
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 am 

Hi there,
Brand new Rickenbacker owner here. I am the very proud owner of a 325 v59. I fell in love with it the moment I held it (well, actually I'd fallen in love once I saw it, I had to have it once I'd held it!).
The shop I got it in put 11 guage strings on it (I think) but they feel a little too slinky to me. Is it normal with the shorter neck that even 11's would feel very slinky and loose?
I'm thinking of going to 12 or 13 so I'm curious as to the general advice of experienced users. Any assistance much appreciated.

Also wondering if people could recommend a particular brand and guage of string that they're happy with. I'm based in Europe so something that would be available on this side of the water would be good. I've looked around for Rickenbacker strings but can't seem to find anywhere that does them in Europe.

Anyway, thanks in advance. I'll add a picture to this thread once I get the chance so you can see the Jetglo beauty I have in my possession. :)

Post subject: Re: New 325 owner, question about strings...
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 am 

You have a great guitar, and to make it play and sound great (and stay in tune), you must have the proper guage strings. Rickenbacker recommends 12-guage on the high E for the 325, and I've even seen some people use 13s for a great sound, as long as you're not doing a lot of string-bending. Check the boutique section here for Rickenbacker short-scale heavy-guage string sets.

Although much more expensive, many people, including myself, prefer a more authentic sound (and feel), and buy flatwound string sets from Thomastik-Infield. Flatwounds will last a very long time, so the price difference is justified. Not sure of their availability on your side of the pond. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:23 am 

Great. Thanks very much for the info. I've never heard of Thomastik-Infield strings before. I usually use Elixir on my acoustic and I've tried various on my electrics. I'll look into the flatwounds. Thanks again.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 pm 

Hmmm.. The only Thomastik-Infield 12's that I can find are these:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomastik_js11 ... trings.htm

or these:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomastik_gb112.htm

And they both seem to specify Jazz so would the tone be different to what you're recommending? Or are those ones suitable? I'll be dropping into the shop tomorrow and see if he's got something suitable there but I don't mind spending the money if the ones you recommend are available somewhere.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:52 am 

I think either of those sets will work, but the George Benson set is a little closer to the Rickenbacker guages (heavier bottom strings). Flatwounds are very popular with jazz guitarists, so they generally call them that. If you're looking for that authentic 60s sound (Beatles) then this is the right thing, but if you want more aggressive rock sounds and do a lot of string bends, then roundwounds would be more to your liking.

I suggest you search through the forum here to see what types of strings are specifically recommended for Ricks, as it has been discussed often in these pages. I use them on my 12-string because after I switched out the high-gain pickups for toasters, I found they sounded much better than rounds. You can always buy individual flatwound strings of the proper guages at a discount string outlet, instead of a full top brand set like TIs. That way, you only need to buy the 4 lower strings (the top 2 are always plain).

I'm of the belief that flatwound strings and Rickenbacker Vintage (toaster-top) pickups go together like pancakes and maple syrup. :D

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:21 pm 

Great, thanks. I'll definitely check 'em out and hear how it sounds. Thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 am 

There is a TI jazz set of 12-50 that most folks use, and you can get them from PTOR:
http://www.pickofthericks.com/thomastik ... 50-js-112/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 pm 

Thanks guys, I managed to find a supplier in the UK and a set of the George Bensons are on the way. I'll bring it back to the shop to get it strung as he said he wanted to check everything out if I was going up a guage. Really looking forward to playing with these flatwounds! Still loving playing it but I think it will be much nicer with a tighter, harder string. I'm having to play really carefully to keep all strings in tune as I play chords up and down the neck. Anyway, it's a truly beautiful guitar to play (and obviously, to look at)
Thanks again. :)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:50 am 

You can buy TI strings from eBay, I use it regularly to get them!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 pm 

Well, I got the Thomastik George Benson 12's and dropped the 325 into the shop. Got it back this afternoon and what a difference!! Playing-wise it's so much more comfortable. The strings were moving around so much with the 11's and the tuning was so unpredictable depending how hard I was playing that these 12's are a world away. Much tighter, much more responsive, more predictable tuning wise and just better in almost every way.
One thing I'm curious about, and it could be my imagination as I've just been playing through a shitty practice amp this evening; do the flatwounds lose a little bit of top-end? Or is it just the 12's compared to 11's? Or is it just because I haven't heard it through my regular amp yet? It sounded a little dull and kind of lacking the jangle I was getting before I switched. I'm delighted with the feel and really looking forward to hearing it through a real amp tho.

Board index » Just Guitars