Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Back to a 330
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:26 am 

Hey all. So I have been playing a Montezuma brown 360 for about six years and after mulling things over I decided to sell it and try out something else. The 360 looked great and the sound through my Blues Deluxe always got compliments. The only downside was that the top E was so close to the edge of the fretboard it would frequently slip over. Certain songs became a pain. As I'm not really a lead guitar player, preferring to base my playing around arpeggios and open strings, it didn't affect me as much as it could have but it seemed to be getting worse so in the end I took the plunge for ...

A Gretsch G5420T in Cadillac Green. Amazing looks and tonally such an improvement over the earlier hollow G5120. Things were great for a few months. But ... something was missing. That Ric sound I'd based my rig and style around. The Gretsch sounded full and clear as a bell, but didn't send a shiver up my spine, didn't feel alive. After a year or so I found myself looking at Rics on the net at what I'd once had, wondering if I'd made a horrible mistake. Before I knew it the thought of putting the pennies together and trading back up to a Ric began to germinate ...

I knew I'd never afford a new 360 again and wanted that fresh feeling of getting one new out of the box. A 330 was all I'd be able to afford. I'm a sucker for a limited edition or something a bit different and I found a shop with three new 330s in Ruby going for a few hundred apiece less than the other stock colours. I sold the Gretsch for a few hundred more than I got it for (limited edition) and ordered the Ric, asking the shop guys to compare the three and sending the one with the best string spacing and to make sure the top E wasn't near the edge.

After plugging the 330 in I was in heaven. It sounded like the 360 sound I still had in my head, but much punchier in the bass end, with some almost Tele-like tones. I don't know if there's any reason that should be the case as other than the slightly different shape and lack of Ric-o-sound input I couldn't tell any difference in hardware or build. I love the sound of this 330 and am so happy with the choice to go Ric again. Even though it's technically an entry-level guitar and doesn't have the curves of the 360, I'd choose a 330 over the 360 again. There's still an issue with the E being quite close to the fretboard edge that I didn't remember being a problem when I first got a Ric. Maybe it's always been there. I've learned to modify my style around it. I don't mess around with tubes / pickups or modify things often but treated Ruby to a set of new vintage TV knobs ... not sure if it looks a bit odd with the standard fifth knob yet. Anyway you get the idea - I'm very happy to be back!

Post subject: Re: Back to a 330
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 pm 

Glad you came to your senses, enjoy! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 am 

I enjoyed your story. It always interests me to learn how we decided to keep a certain guitar and let another one go. Being a lover of Gretsch guitars (I own a White Falcon and USA Custom Shop Penguin) I am sorry to hear you had to let your G5420T go in order to get the new Rickenbacker 330. But we do what we must do. Anyway, I am glad you're happy with the new 330 and wish you many happy years of playing.

I own a Midnight Blue 620 and love it. Someday I hope to add either a 330 or 360 to my collection too.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 pm 

Welcome back! I have always dreamed of owning a 360 Montezuma Brown Rick! To me, that is one beautiful guitar! That color is exquisite! I have a 620 & 4001 Fireglo but that 360 Montezuma brown is just a work of art! Hate you had some problems with it but glad you found your way back home to a Rick! Would love to see a pic of your new 330. Congrats!

2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 am 

I'm not a fan of modding my gear but I quite fancied the vintage knobs. No-one else else seems keen sadly!
The pristine ruby finish received it's first minor bump last night ... fortunately on the bottom on the edge so can't be seen when playing. I knew it would happen sooner or later, but I'm a bit worried about the ruby finish in the long-run. Whereas when my Montezuma brown 360 received a few dints, you the colour was the same underneath, but it's white underneath the top layer of the ruby coat. I know the metallic colours go through a few different coats.

Attachments:
ruby330smallest.jpg [58.69 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 am 

I'm 62 years old, and just got a Ric 330. I absolutely love this guitar. I'm a bass player but have been studying/ practicing Django Reinhardt music for 6 years on a Selmer type petit bouche (small mouth) gypsy guitar.
My family hates hearing me practice arpeggios scales and the rest. Gypsy guitars are very loud and piercing. I play hollow basses unplugged when I practice at home, and this disturbs no one.
So, I thought - get a semi-hollow electric and practice on that. I've always admired the looks, playability and sound of Rickenbacker instruments. To me, they are the top of all makers.
I found a 330 in Fireglo red. What a beautiful instrument! It's perfectly balanced, plays like a dream and has the most accurate fret board that I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The thing sounds wonderful through my old Vox Cambridge amp, when no one's around.
This was money well spent.

Pimpernel Smith
In the Pond

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 am 

I am looking to get a 330 as well. I currently am the original owner of a 350v63. Where is a good place to sell the 350 so I can afford the 330?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 am 

midblake wrote:
I am looking to get a 330 as well. I currently am the original owner of a 350v63. Where is a good place to sell the 350 so I can afford the 330?

rickresource.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:34 pm 

Congrats on the new 330! I love the Ruby guitars--great color!

But I'm not sure I would classify the 330 as "entry level." To me, that means a slightly inferior build quality, and all Ricks are made to the same high standards. Some folks (like me) prefer the old Capri body style without the rounded, contoured top of the (new style) 360. I think the 330s are splendid guitars. I have to say I was first drawn to them by seeing many, many photos of Paul Weller playing them in The Jam. Underrated instruments, in my opinion.

Enjoy the new guitar!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:34 pm 

Glad to hear you got back to your "happy place" guitarwise. My Gretsch 6116PTV Power Tenny is still the flagship of my small modest collection of guitars but I've also grown more and more fond of my '13 Rick Ruby Red 620/6. I've really bonded with the 620 and even with my very limited playing ability can get a lot of really nice sounds out of it. I'm also a small guy with very small hands (and 57 yr old small hands) and the neck shape, easy string tension and compact overall size are very comfortable for me. The other thing that really appeals to me about Ricks and Gretsches is that they have their own unique sounds and are much more versatile than many believe them to be.

Board index » Just Guitars