Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: NGD - 381V69 Fireglo
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am 

Is the tone different from your garden variety 360?

Mentally, I imagine it as a jangly Rick with a little bit of ES-335 midrange funk thrown in, but that probably has nothing to do with reality.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm 

Burdickenbacker1 wrote:
Hey hlarry14: I think the other 381v69 is still available from Wildwood. Just wondering, what made you choose the one you did -- anything at all wrong about the one that's left?

I played both of them at the time, and they were both great - very little if any difference that I could tell in playability and sound. I thought the one I picked had a somewhat nicer looking top, and the other one had a nicer looking back - figured I'd be looking at the top more :D

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm 

Kingbreaker wrote:
Is the tone different from your garden variety 360?

Mentally, I imagine it as a jangly Rick with a little bit of ES-335 midrange funk thrown in, but that probably has nothing to do with reality.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any stretch, but my perception is very much what you described. I've never played a 360 6st. (I do have a 370/12), and I do have a Gibson ES-335. The 381 (with the vintage toaster pickups) has the jangle, but does have some similarity with the 335.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm 

Dude!

Dude.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:23 am 

I went to a guitar shaow a couple weeks back looking for a R4 Les Paul and a 381 kinda spoke to me when I walked by. I looked it over, held it and priced it. I walked through the whole show & it hit me hard- "Buy that Ric!!". @ 3 grand it is cheaper than a new R4 & 100 times more beautiful! After a couple weeks of learning her (knobs, switches etc.) I took her to practice. I had to unpack her out in the truck cause that big case! I can dirty her up a little with my OCD pedal and match my Gibsons BUT that clean ring is something a Gibson just won't do! The knobs are something I'll have to get used to but thats no problem.

Y'all are right- The 381 is the most beautiful guitar ever made!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:42 am 

I've got a Rich Robinson 335 & its a great guitar. I compared middle positions on both through a Hiwatt DR 103 extremly loud. They both fedback and the ring in the Ric went high octave after the 335. I kinda like the less hot toasters compaired to the humbuckers. I'll never play that loud out with my band but I kinda like to know feedback limitations in my semi-hollow body guitars.
My Ric also has a kinda twang on the low e,a and d strings which I like. There IS a difference between the 381 and a Gibson 335. Both are great guitars and I'm new to a 6 string Ric. I'm gonna play it out some and see. We play 60s music the first set, for the older folks that usally leave early. I'll rotate between the 381 and my 36012V64 in that set. I really can get close to a Gretsch with the 381 with that great bottom end.

As Y'all can tell I'm really stoked about this guitar. Its been a long time since thats happened to me & I've purchased quite a few in my 60 years!

Board index » Just Guitars