Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Anyone tried to wiring the picks direct to switch - jack?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 am 

Hi!

I have a 80:s 340 with SC, SC & HB. The guitar in it self is quite dull sounding and not so bright.

So, though I never use the tone and volume controls I thought about wiring the picks straight to the switch and from there straight to jack.

Have someone tried this? I want bridge pic alone, in middle position all three and in neck position maybe just neck or neck + middle. Is it possible to do and with good results?

Maybe I have to put a cap in series or so, maybe a resistor to even things out - I guess that the neck pick up will be a little hotter than the others.

Post subject: Re: Anyone tried to wiring the picks direct to switch - jack
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 pm 

I did it last weekend. Well, I have to say that the guitar got some more punch and volume and it felt like the blanket was off the amp again.

The middle position on the switch sounds warm and balanced. A hint of to much bass in it, but ok.
Neck is still a little dull, and too bassy on high volume in a rehearsal room.
Bridge (humbucker) was wery nasal sounding. Like a wah in fixed position. Wery much like my Jazzmaster at bridge position, but a little more of it. Cool, but maybe not useful.

I don´t know yet. I have to use it together with my band tomorrow and try it out live. But I think that im on to something.

One thing I noticed was that one of the .047 caps leg was loose where it would be soldered to the pot leg. That can have something to do with the tone that I was missing.

Anyway, I have to try some more. I read that the fifth know download the whole wiring a bit, and maybe take that one out will make things better. Another tip was to solder the hot wires from the mic to the inner leg on the switch instead. When soldered as original there was a constant loas as well in all positions.

But I don´t know much about electronics and only use my ears. So if anyone have some experience with this - please tell me about it.

Cheers!

Edit: Something just crossed my mind. Maybe coilsplit the HB and blend in HB thru the fifth knob... :)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 am 

Sounds like you have an issue with the electronics. Something is bleeding to ground. The best thing to do is take a PICTURE of the wiring before you tear it apart. Pull all the pots & caps, mark then with a bit of masking tape (write on the tape where each one came from) and check them one by one to see if they are in spec. Use a capacitance meter to check the capacitors. Write down the results of each item. Check each pickup to see if it is in spec. Then rewire it EXACTLY as the factory specs show. Check all grounds.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:21 am 

shoegazers anonymous wrote:
The middle position on the switch sounds warm and balanced. A hint of to much bass in it, but ok.

Among your other wiring issues, which the forum cannot diagnose until seeing the wiring close up, this is what the 5th knob is for: to balance the output of the neck pickup to the desired jangle of the bridge pickup in the mid position.

You would be better off re-wiring back to the stock wiring, and if desired, change out the factory 330kohm pots for 500kohm pots to get more top end.

Board index » Just Guitars