Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Restored digital "A Hard Day's Night" on TCM
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 am 

Last night I took two hours for myself, shut the door, got out my 1981 360-12WB FG ckbd and indulged myself with a big screen watching and playing along with the digitally remastered "A Hard Day's Night" as broadcast on TCM last night. Magnificient! Over the years, I had only been able to see generations-down-the-line analog copies, with degraded audio and video to match. So I was amazingly impressed with the both the video and audio quality of the digital restoration, especially the nuances, inside visual jokes, and double entendres that are not visible on the lesser quality prints. (For example, the tailor winking at John when he cuts his tape measure with the tailor shears - now there's a stereotypical English joke that you never see anymore!)

But the best part of all was that when I was a young man I was excited that I actually had a Rick 12-string to play along. Now, at 52 years old, what most pleases me is that I still have all my hair, and can still grow it out to a full mop-top if I want to! :mrgreen:

OK - admit it - how many out there, including me, have watched the movie multiple times, not just to enjoy the movie, but to learn how to play the songs?!!!

Post subject: Re: Restored digital "A Hard Day's Night" on TCM
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am 

Well, I haven't had a Rickenbacker 12-string as long as you have, but I knew how to play the songs pretty well before 1965 rolled around.

As for the movie, I bought the previous iteration a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. The picture looks great on my 120-inch screen, and I still like to watch the film often, especially for the music. The picture may have been "cleaned" too much; there's still plenty of detail but the grey scale is a bit limited (too much contrast).

I think the sound could have been better for a couple of reasons: 1) The vocals seem a bit "dark" with some added chorusing or phasing, which can be a little distracting, but the instruments sound great, including the incidental music. 2) The dialog during the scenes when they're not singing is still awful, and often unintelligible (especially with Scouse accents!); even worse over the background music. I hope it's much better on the new version.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 pm 

Yes. On this new digital version, the audio is stellar, clean, and each instrument has its proper timbre. The video is the same with the proper grey scale and incredible detail - each hair on the head is visible separately on close-up shots.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 am 

If the dialog is really clean, that would sell it for me. Everything else about my copy is eminently watchable (and listenable). HELP is quite a bit better, in that regard, but all of their films needed a dialog track overhaul.

I was very surprised at the nice picture quality on the recently released Magical Mystery Tour, which is night-and-day from any videotape or bootleg version.

I also watch Yellow Submarine often, both for the colors and the music. I'm SO glad I can turn off the scratchy dialog track on that one and just listen to the music. Besides the Beatle songs, the background score is awesome!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 am 

Re Yellow Submarine - indeed.

Re Hard Day's Night - I was given as a gift the first digital transcription of the movie years ago. By the stadards then, it was alright - as least the movie was out there so it could be viewed. But by today's digital standards, it is pixilated, compressed, both visually and aurally, and, well, it stays in its box.

I'm looking forward to eventually replacing my old digital and old VHS versions of all of them, including Let It Be, with the new digital versions.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry guys, but I made a few edits here to keep the peace between all parties. Let's keep it on the Yellow Submarine topic and, of course, the Rickenbackers therein.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:10 am 

Mr. JH - Thank you.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events