Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Re: Sir Paul
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:49 pm 

Isn't the Hoffner a short scale(30") bass? Might be easier for him to play.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
Paul has a notoriously bad back whereas I'm not aware that Chris has such problems. I sympathize with Paul and the weight issue- after an hour of playing I'm usually in agony.

Not to mention Chris plays a slightly weight relieved bass....perhaps an opportunity here to produce a weight relieved 4001, in the current Gibson Les Paul fashion of hollowing the body out under the Maple cap style.
Obvious problems of being nose heavy, change of tone and production issues. I'm sure a one off for Paul would not be a problem.

Not a new suggestion, but an interesting topic.

Another interesting aside, I noticed in the Let It Be sessions the Hofner does not seem to intonate very well, the higher notes are out of tune. I read the intonation was fixed up in more recent times so Paul could used it on stage once more.
Listening to the studio albums prior to Let It Be, there is no hint of intonation issues, so I guessing he must have been using the Rickenbacker with flats alot or some other trick. Anyone know the story?
:D

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:49 am 

Not sure if there's any 'story' to it.

Sounds to me like a basic tuning problem, since his low notes are also out of tune. So, for those songs, either the guitars were tuned low, or the bass was tuned high.

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 am 

I think the mystic of Let It Be comes down to the gritty band sound, and if a few strings aren't in tune, so be it. Let it be.

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:01 pm 

Paul McCartney has been hospitalized in Japan:

Paul McCartney has canceled the remainder of his tour of Japan and South Korea after being hospitalized in Tokyo with a viral infection.

McCartney, 71, apologized to fans last week when he had to postpone several concerts. Although there were initial reports that his condition had worsened, his publicist, Perri Cohen, said Thursday that the former Beatle is expected to make a complete recovery and will be taking time to rest.

“I’d like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding,” McCartney said in a statement. “I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul.”

Our emails to McCartney’s reps were not immediately returned.

McCartney has several more dates lined up in the U.S., starting in June. According to his “Out There” tour’s official website, those concerts are still on.

....Here's wishes for a quick recovery, Sir Paul!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ports-say/

2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 pm 

Glad he's okay and back on tour!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:25 pm 

Clifton wrote:
I was lucky enough to see Paul McCartney in concert on November 14 here in Houston. What a show! He played for almost three hours, and the highlight was near the end when he played "Live and Let Die," complete with flames and fireworks out the roof of Minute Maid park.

Of course he played his Hofner instead of his Rick bass. But I started wondering about that. I know that in the past he's said he plays the Hofner because of its light weight. But he played two different Les Pauls (including his '58 left-handed sunburst) and I would guess that they weigh close to what his 4001S weighs. A few days after the concert, I went back and listened to "Wings Over America," where he did play his Rick bass. And guess what? I think his bass sound was better with the Rickenbacker! It sounded punchier and more distinct. I sure wish he'd go back to playing it, but I doubt he will.

From a guy who has been there, done that, and wrapped ice packs in the t-shirt to relieve the back: it's one thing to strap on a Les Paul for a tune or two, as opposed to carrying it all night. Of course he plays the Hofner. Of course it isn't the most tuning stable bass ever made, especially with the light gauge strings on it. Of course it needs a rotated bridge to get any semblance of intonation compensation. Of course it will react much more with changes of temperature and humidity. But the tone is Macca, and will always be Macca. To ask him to change would be like asking Miles Davis to forego his Martin Committee trumpet, (when everybody else was playing everything else) or Charlie Parker to forego his King Super 20 sax (when everybody else was playing Selmer Mark VI), or, well, you get the picture.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events