Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: iiipopes vintage tone mod
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 am 

Hey WhoJamFan -- done.

Folks, when you get the mods done, please post your playing impressions as well so I can get some feedback as to what to work on next.

This weekend I'll work on the 370 version of the diagram for the Ric-O-Sound.

After that I'll work on the 2-pickup versions that just have the in/out for the .0047 capacitor.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:33 am 

Thank you kind sir, looks great. I'm wondering if the p/pull pot I have has the same terminal configuration as the ones RIC sells. It is a Les Paul type 3/8 in long shaft that I had extras of purchased from a company called "Has sound".
Please send me anymore diagrams that you draw up as I have 3 different models and your drawings are great.
Thank you again, and after this bit of technology I can get back to my technique(LOL).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:52 am 

It will probably be the same configuration, but it will also probably be too deep to fit in the cavity of a 300 series body. I had this idea years ago, but I couldn't do it because the general aftermarket push-pull switches were too deep. So you can imagine my delight when they came out.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 am 

Hi iiipopes,
just found this thread.
If it's not to late, can I also get a copy of the mod?
johnacollins@bigpond.com.au
Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:03 am 

The p/pull I have fits in the cavity no problem, but something is different in the way it switches. I just ordered 2 p/pulls from the RIC boutique and will wire them up like you have drawn up. I have a 330FG and a 360/12FG, so I will be anxiously awaiting your other diagrams as well. Thank you again for your help, you rock!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:01 am 

Thanks iiipopes. I've had all the parts but was not sure how it was wired. I made up a whole spare pickguard and wiring assembly and vintage knobs. Now, waiting for the new 340 to arrive and can just swap it out.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 am 

Hey JCaudio -- done.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:30 am 

OK, here's the next one for 370 style guitars with Ric-O-Sound. Notice it is similar, but not exactly like the 320. The jumper between the volume pots is replaced with the separate hot lead out to the second lug of the Ric-O-Sound jack. Also, I removed the common lead wire between the two volume pots because the shields take the pots to ground, and to leave that particular jumper in there might cause a ground loop.

In review, there is one place I drew the shield off the bridge volume pot casing that might look like a "4th lug" to the bridge volume pot. It isn't, it's just my drawing skills aren't of draftsman quality. I changed it to be a little more clear on the 370 version. If it is a problem to decipher on the 320 version, let me know and I'll re-scan it and fix it.

Another tip: due to the proximity of different parts, it might be best to ground the shield of the bridge pickup on the back of the neck volume control, since the hot lead goes to the selector switch first, and not to the pots first.

OK, in order not to impinge on the hospitality of our hosts, I must say again I'm not connected with RIC in anyway. These are my own ideas, and there is no guarantee they will work. They do work on the guitars I've tried them out on. Like any mods, if you do this to a guitar still under warranty, it may void the warranty. If you're not comfortable with a soldering iron, have someone else do it for you that is to avoid possible damage to your guitar.

Since the two pickup versions are the same as the three pickup versions as far as the in-line bridge pickup capacitor is concerned, the neck pickup wiring is basically unchanged from factory stock. But I'll work on those diagrams in the next couple of weeks and get them out as well.

I should publicly thank Mr. JH, the company, and the forum for allowing me to post this thread and send off wiring mod diagrams from here. I don't know if other factory forums would even consider this extension of gracious hospitality.

Just make sure you honor the company with your mods by using real Rickenbacker sourced parts, whether through the boutique or through authorized dealers as may be the case in your particular area.

Again, please let me know both yeas and nays about the diagram and how it sounds when you get it done.

That said, enjoy!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:10 am 

Hi iiipopes,

Thanx for the send. . . Once again, what a cool mod. Still waiting on my 370's. . . but now I'll already have the know how for the mod :)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:43 am 

Thanks iiipopes

you've been a great help.
Now i need the 370/12 MG i have everything else to do the job.
The drawing is great your a good man for sharing this.
Thanks to Mr. John Hall and co. for allowing this to happen.
And i have bought all the parts from Rickenbacker inc.
Thank you very much iiipopes and Rickenbacker Inc.

Regards

GTB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical