Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Set Up
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 pm 

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 3 year old 360/12. I do love it, but it plays like crap. I thought after I brought it home from the guitar center that I could sucessfully adjust the action. I tried moving the saddles back to lower the string height. Lowering the bridge with the 4 adjustment screws just results in making the low and hight E stings buzz on the fretboard. Next I have to try the trust rods, although I have never done this before. The action is so high it is very difficult even to play a bar chord. Any advise from some one who has sucessfully set up this guitar would be appreciated. There has to be a way to make such a beautiful guitar play correctly. I hope.

Thanks all
Tom Rudd

Post subject: Re: Set Up
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:21 pm 

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 3 year old 360/12. I do love it, but it plays like crap. I thought after I brought it home from the guitar center that I could sucessfully adjust the action. I tried moving the saddles back to lower the string height. Lowering the bridge with the 4 adjustment screws just results in making the low and hight E stings buzz on the fretboard. Next I have to try the trust rods, although I have never done this before. The action is so high it is very difficult even to play a bar chord. Any advise from some one who has sucessfully set up this guitar would be appreciated. There has to be a way to make such a beautiful guitar play correctly. I hope.

Thanks all
Tom Rudd

Howdy,

My best suggestion is to find a guitar tech near you who is familiar with Rickenbacker's to set this one up for you. Moving the saddles back or forward is to adjust the intonation, which was probably incorrect to begin with. There are 2 luthiers on this forum as well. Dale Fortune and Jingle-Jangle who can probably help you as well and will probably post their advice to you here. Both come highly recommended.

Steve

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, your sequence is a bit off. You need to use the truss rods to get your neck perfectly flat. Forget the buzzes and string height, just get it flat. Only then can you start raising or lowering the bridge to get the action you want. Finally, move the saddles to adjust the intonation. (As pointed out, moving the saddles is not done for adjusting the action.)

The owner's manual details all this for you- service tab above or:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 pm 

Following Mr. Hall's instructions, I got my 4003 action to perfection! (and I'm far from being a guitar technician).

Just take your time and be careful, specially with the truss rods. In almost every case, just 1/4 turn of the truss rods is needed to get the neck to dead flat. My bass action was really high and had many buzzes, due to weather changes in my town. Doing that, it's perfect again.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 pm 

Thank You all for the information everyone!

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 pm 

Another Question. I will probably bring the guitar in and let a professional do the work. The trust rod work is done with all the strings in a tuned state, correct?

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:06 pm 

Quote:
Following Mr. Hall's instructions, I got my 4003 action to perfection! (and I'm far from being a guitar technician).

Just take your time and be careful, specially with the truss rods. In almost every case, just 1/4 turn of the truss rods is needed to get the neck to dead flat. My bass action was really high and had many buzzes, due to weather changes in my town. Doing that, it's perfect again.

I'm going to sound ignorant, but is that a quarter turn clockwise?

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:34 pm 

Quote:
I'm going to sound ignorant, but is that a quarter turn clockwise?

Yes, clockwise.

Quote:
The trust rod work is done with all the strings in a tuned state, correct?

No, I did that with the strings fully detuned.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The trust rod work is done with all the strings in a tuned state, correct?

No, I did that with the strings fully detuned.

We recommend that you keep the instrument in tune when adjusting the truss rods. Like John posted before. The procedure is in the owner’s manual.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:54 pm 

oops! My mistake.

Sorry for that.

Board index » Setup And Technical