Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Source for replacement bridge "saddles"?
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 pm 

That's great, Mr. Hall. Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 pm 

This is the first bridge of the two. Will not get to the John Kay model until next week maybe. Haven't slotted this one yet, as it's hot off the presses. (Still was unable to get file size over 450 pixels, unless it's operator error on my part).

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm 

JDI - The photo posting links you are using, despite what Photobucket is telling you, are "too" active, allowing them to be posted, but allowing any viewer to click and gain access to your online library of photos. If you don't want this as much as I don't it, here's what I found and how you should structure/modify your Photobucket link:

You need to edit the link after pasting here, deleting all characters from the very beginning until you reach the bracketed img leave this bracket entirelyin place. Now delete everything after this second bracket, the bracketed / img (Note how the first IMG has no slash before the IMG, and that there is a slash before the second (terminal) IMG. I am unable to type in the actual "square" brackets surrounding the img and /img within this paragraph, as the website posts my text weirdly, as if similar to an image. These are the proper brackets: [ ] .

So here is your photo, with the link edited as I've just described. See, I had no problem screwing around with you web pages/photos:

If you click on it, it does nothing, which is what I want.

Photobucket does not seem to provide a true BBCode (Bulletin Board Code); that code would be the link as I described it, with the IMG brackets already in place. All that "extra" link code allows a path to return to your album.

PS - If you've already resized your photos to 450 pixels, I don't think you can now enlarge them; those pixels beyond 450 are in oblivion. I take a bunch of photos, look them over and select the best ones for posting; create a "RIC posts" folder, copy my selected photos into this working folder, resize those in this working/posting folder, leaving the originals intact/unaltered..... upload the resized ones to photo hosting. I think most photo hosting sites will allow you to select an uploaded size (they automatically resize for you if you select an option; I select 'do not resize'). Usually the host site does not offer the exact size I want to post at.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:05 pm 

JDI - It occurred to me that perhaps you were inviting guests into a shared album. If so, forgive me for posting all that stuff above. I see that there is a limited amount of time in which posts are editable; looks like it might be an hour or so...?

Anyway, nice work. How will you notch the saddles for strings? I've always imagined doing it with a three-sided/triangular hand file after stringing the guitar up and marking & notching where the strings "want" to traverse the saddles, in order to keep the string as straight as possible. (When you buy replacement guitar saddles and bridges from RIC the saddles are not already notched.)

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:30 pm 

No prob Maxwell, I changed some settings in PhotoBucket for more privacy. There's nothing up there but guitar pics anyway.

I'm going to notch the outer E saddles first, as I'm trying to get a little wider string spacing, which I think is going to be 2" max. Then I'll do the 4-inner strings. I have special files for slotting most of the strings. The 10ga "E" and 13 ga "B" saddles I'll do with a thin metal blade. The factory string spacing was a little too narrow on both these Rics, which I've had since new.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 am 

There is nothing new in the world but the history a person does not know.

In the late '70's, brass was all the rage for nuts, bridges, etc. A Guitar Player shoot-out of all the available aftermarket bass bridges compared all the then-new bridges, including brass, with traditional bridges. After all was said and done, the OEM bridges were deemed to have the best tone, sustain and durability. Brass came up sorely lacking.

In the '80's, I also had a honkin' large brass bridge on a particular guitar I owned at the time. It didn't really do anything more or different than the stock bridge. The guitar and the bridge are long gone.

I suggest to maintain authentic Rickenbacker tone that you purchase Rickenbacker bridge saddles from the boutique. That is what I did when I needed to make a couple of new saddles for my 1981 360-12WB FG ckbd. I am glad I did.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:23 am 

That's no fun! ;)

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:02 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
There is nothing new in the world but the history a person does not know.

In the late '70's, brass was all the rage for nuts, bridges, etc. A Guitar Player shoot-out of all the available aftermarket bass bridges compared all the then-new bridges, including brass, with traditional bridges. After all was said and done, the OEM bridges were deemed to have the best tone, sustain and durability. Brass came up sorely lacking.

In the '80's, I also had a honkin' large brass bridge on a particular guitar I owned at the time. It didn't really do anything more or different than the stock bridge. The guitar and the bridge are long gone.

I suggest to maintain authentic Rickenbacker tone that you purchase Rickenbacker bridge saddles from the boutique. That is what I did when I needed to make a couple of new saddles for my 1981 360-12WB FG ckbd. I am glad I did.

Since you brought up history, here's mine. Both Rics I purchased new in the 1980s ('87 360 and '89 JK381) have been stashed away in the closet virtually unplayed because I found the sound on both to be somewhat lacking. Good, but not great. As I've finished with the 360 bridge, I now realize it was the saddles all along. This thing now smokes. It's like the difference between Pat Boone and Link Wray. So I'm gonna do the John Kay next. And then, I'm going do my '75 481 after that (my second 481 btw, first one I had was during 1977-79). As to the aluminum saddles, I'll leave them in the cases for future owners to deal with.

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm 

Vive la difference!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:14 am 

I have been using Tusk bridge saddles in my Gibson since 1998 and they are hard to beat, but my 370-12 still has the factory saddles. I think they are made of aluminum?? Magnesium??

Board index » Setup And Technical