Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 650S Sierra pickups
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:56 am 

This is my first post here. I just procured a January 1993 650S which I will include photos of. It's stunning and the neck is still ironing board straight.

I'm over the moon with how it plays but I have a question about the humbuckers. The neck is very bassy and the bridge is very trebly and they have a massive sound.

When I select both pickups, they seem to create a pseudo-wah tone which sounds epic but when the volume pots are both at 10, the sound becomes thin. A touch of any of the pots to 9 returns the "full fat" sound of the middle position but as soon as both pots reach 10, it just looses something.

Can anyone help me diagnose this?
Maybe the pickup's are tampered with?
It sounds out of phase with both volume pots up but not very desirable.

Thanks in advance guys
Apparently my photos need to be AT MOST 0 pixels wide and 450 pixels high, so for now I can't be bothered haha

Post subject: Re: 650S Sierra pickups
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:07 pm 

Try swapping the hot and ground on only one of the pickups at the harness to test for out of polarity.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jps wrote:
Try swapping the hot and ground on only one of the pickups at the harness to test for out of polarity.

What he said. This does sound like a phasing problem. Better yet, put in a phase switch so you have even more tonal possibilities.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:18 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
jps wrote:

What he said. This does sound like a phasing problem. Better yet, put in a phase switch so you have even more tonal possibilities.

Thanks jps! And cheers for replying John, I don't want to tamper with the beauty at all.
I used to have one a while ago and it was sweet as is. Maybe just a coil split haha!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:37 pm 

I know it wouldn't matter which way but John, which way are the red and blue wires attached when the guitar is shipped?

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll report back once it's fixed!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:50 pm 

Okay so the red wires from each pickup go to the selector switch and the blue and bare are grounded. All is as is according to the wiring diagram. I'm not bewildered?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 am 

Yuanjia wrote:
Okay so the red wires from each pickup go to the selector switch and the blue and bare are grounded. All is as is according to the wiring diagram. I'm not bewildered?

Did you try swapping the leads on one of the pickups at the switch to test if that corrects the problem? Even though the wiring looks to be correct it is still a good idea to try switching them around, just to be sure. Maybe the leads were soldered at the pickup itself in the wrong order so you should still try this simple test.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:50 am 

jps wrote:
Yuanjia wrote:

Did you try swapping the leads on one of the pickups at the switch to test if that corrects the problem? Even though the wiring looks to be correct it is still a good idea to try switching them around, just to be sure. Maybe the leads were soldered at the pickup itself in the wrong order so you should still try this simple test.

I wouldn't know which ones to switch, although I can solder. The red ones go to the selector switch and the blue ones go to ground. I'm assuming you mean just switch one of those?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm 

Yes, just swap those around on the leads of only one of the pickups. This will reverse the hot and ground leads and put that pickup out of polarity (or in polarity, as that is the goal) with the other one. It doesn't matter which pickup you do this to.

Post subject: 650S Sierra pickups
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:38 am 

I have a 99 sierra and I need a drivers seat track. it is a manual seat. I have searched all over and can only seem to find a new one which is very pricey. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Board index » Setup And Technical