Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: manufacturing
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:15 pm 

In spite of the political leanings on this thread, I'm not unhappy it's gotten this far. I started a thread over at the RRF about new Rickenfakers being sold over at TalkBass (which were removed from that site by the way) and then some troll comes in and gets me censored, deleted and edited all because of my particular distaste for the fact that the Rickenfakers in question were made in China. Kudos to RIC for not being so heavy handed.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm 

aceonbass wrote:
In spite of the political leanings on this thread, I'm not unhappy it's gotten this far. I started a thread over at the RRF about new Rickenfakers being sold over at TalkBass (which were removed from that site by the way) and then some troll comes in and gets me censored, deleted and edited all because of my particular distaste for the fact that the Rickenfakers in question were made in China. Kudos to RIC for not being so heavy handed.

There are some people on that forum who have owned several Rickenfakers. I can name one in particular who even posted a picture of all of them on another webpage.

Rickenbacker make the better product, though. For some reason, there are fantastic copies of other brands made in different countries, but with a real Rickenbacker, you get what you pay for. There's no need for copies like Edwards or Tokai make for Gibson, because the quality of Ric has always been there.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:44 am 

True, I've never seen a convincing copy of a RIC. There are a few of them on eBay right now. There is also several people parting out good RIC's, one even says the body for sale is mint. Can't understand why anyone would buy a fake, or scrap a good Rickenbacker. A couple bucks must really be important to sellers/buyers in both cases.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:09 pm 

aceonbass wrote:
If you're talking about Gibson, then you're talking about a company that deserved what it got when it imported Madagascar ebony illegally. The law violated had nothing to do with whether or not it was sourced in the USA (ebony's not grown here), it had to do with laws broken involving importation of endangered species, and Madagascar ebony is well known to be one of them. The right wing source you probably read about that from undoubtedly failed to mention that laws were broken, and that it had nothing to do with "Big Brother" wanting to hurt Gibson. Not only does RIC source most of their supplies domestically, but it wants no part in using black market sources involved in the decimation of endangered species. This is why they don't build guitars with ebony fingerboards or the original style crushed shell inlays anymore.

This is not entirely correct. As the NPR article link at the bottom here says (hardly a right-wing news source), the 2011 raid was a raid on imported wood from Madagascar and India, not ebony. The shame of this, ironically, is that if a US manufactuer moved their operation out of the USA, they could avoid many of the laws like the LACEY Act. I'm glad companies like Rickenbacker have kept their manufacturing here at home, but it would be nice if state, local and federal government would make their life easier to continue doing that.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011 ... department

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 2009 raid was about the Madagascar ebony and the 2011 raid was about the Indian rosewood.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it should be pointed out that as of this time the government has not moved forward with any kind of case against them. As such no wrongdoing has been or was ever proven and we must respect that.

There have been various reports ranging from the suggestion this was politically motivated, to intimations that their suppliers had some irregularities in the import paperwork. Whatever the actual facts, apparently the authorities made the decision not to proceed and a settlement was achieved.

Nevertheless, any manufacturer can avoid problems like these by choosing not to use such woods in the first place. Additionally, my best guess is that ebony will eventually be added to the CITES treaty which will essentially stop its trade entirely.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 am 

That's a shame. I liked the ebony fretboard on my old L6-S.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The rabbit hole goes much deeper regarding this matter: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum ... -sad-story

This rather important part of the story is not so well known I think.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 pm 

I think there should be a Kazoo players forum too.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm 

This makes me glad RIC is committed to using wood products responsibly. I hope I never hear, "Ebony declared extinct, but bedroom guitar tone soars to record levels of awesome-tude."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical