Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Remembering John R. Zeidler master luthier
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:27 am 

Greetings Ric staff and fellow posters: Sometimes, in the frantic pace of our comings and goings, we miss hearing about the passing of good people. John R. Zeidler, a master guitar maker passed away on May 7, 2002. Sadly, I just learned of this today. I met Mr. Zeidler only once during Symposium 91 held at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. Back then I was just a young guitar/freak/player who paid the $50.00 admission and got a chance to look around at all the neat stuff. I spoke with many of the builders there all of whom were professional, courteous, and polite. However, only a select few were as personable and likeable as the young guy with all the dark archtops. I nearly had a coronary when he told me the price of the instrument I was holding, but, despite my obvious reaction, he was content to let me examine it to my heart’s content. Because of these two qualities, both of creator and his creation, I had always hoped that when my level of playing was such that I could justify the expense of an $8k guitar, I would look him up and commission one. Sadly, this will never happen. Apparently, he left quite an impression on many of his peers too. A group of them decided to build the “Zeidler Project” an archtop guitar built to John’s specifications by a number of master craftspeople shown here http://www.newportguitarfestival.com/2004/zeidler.html Proceeds from the sale of this $100k guitar will go to help absorb the cost of the high medical bills incurred by his family from his illness. If there is any one of you with the means to do this, I would encourage you to do so. Anyone capable of leaving that kind of an impression on a kid barely into his 20s, those lucky enough to have possession of one of his instruments, and a number of his peers, has earned his place in guitar history. I have once again been poignantly reminded that we should take neither situations, nor people, for granted.

Board index » General Forum