Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chickensh*t post on alt.guitar.rickenbacker ! ! !
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 am 

I'm sure many of you as myself have seen the the chickensh*t posts over on the alt.guitar.rickenbacker Usenet newsgroup attacking John Hall regarding special treatment of chosen individuals, among other things. I'll be the first to admit ribbing JH a few times with NON mean-spirited yada yada, but this misguided individual posted obligatory comments, not having the cajonies to face JH with his insults and gripes, clearly indicating the lack of character and backbone which unfortunately, has become a standard protocol for any venue where opinions are shared on the Internet. Do I know John Hall? No, I've spoken with him briefly at NAMM shows a few times . . . that's it. But, I do credit him with taking time to personally respond to persons who visit his corporate web-site's forum to correct fact from fiction, offering valuable information for the asking. Some of you have the opinion that anyone who speaks favorably of JH or RIC are just a bunch of KISS-AZZEZ, which some probably are, but anyone who doesn't have the "boys" to face the person they're bad-mouthing, but instead doing so hiding behind an ANONYMOUS mail transfer client, should just "shut the F**k up!!!"

Post subject: Re: Chickensh*t post on alt.guitar.rickenbacker ! ! !
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:23 am 

I don't know what that's all about, but I can tell you 1st hand that I not only worked for John(know him personally) but also worked for his father F.C. Hall from 1972 thru 1975 and they have a family owned business that is 2nd to none.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:54 am 

I am as suspicious of corporations as anyone. I am thus pleased to the core to note the obvious authentic concern for people -- and not just for people's money -- that Mr. Hall clearly demonstrates on these discussion boards by personally answering our questions. I am deeply impressed. As to the issue of the waiting period for delivery of stock models in the Ric catalogue, I would add this as someone who plays primarily classical guitar: The typical waiting period for delivery of a top-notch classical guitar runs as long as *ten years* -- if the luthier (such as Ruck or Dammann) is even still taking orders at all. So, take heart, folks. Waiting one or even two years for the delivery of a new Ric is relatively painless. When my 370/12 Blueburst comes down the pike, it's gonna be a SWEET day, certainly worth the wait. Three cheers for Rickenbacker and the good folks there who so clearly give a damn despite all the "market forces" that beckon them to join the heartless, faceless legions of indifferent corporations.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:03 pm 

While this post initially attempts to correct a wrong it unfortunately brings attention to another post that otherwise might have other gone by with little attention here.

Sort of like slowing down to watch an accident. Other than a general response, my guess is that such future lines of posts will be strictly managed.

Understandibly so.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:14 pm 

Quote:
While this post initially attempts to correct a wrong it unfortunately brings attention to another post that otherwise might have other gone by with little attention here.

Sort of like slowing down to watch an accident. Other than a general response, my guess is that such future lines of posts will be strictly managed.

Understandibly so.
Being these posts arrive in my news folder every day, I usually ignore them, but enough is enough of posting this BS ANONYMOUSLY which is plain and simple cowardice. My intention is not to kick any sleeping dogs, but as the above poster on this thread stated something to the effect of "slowing down to watch an accident", in other words saying nothing is the wisest thing to do, which might very well be right as being the path of least resistance. I'm well aware these posts will be strictly managed, and I expect this thread to be deleted, and probably rightfully so. Looking back on it, I should have just deleted the Usenet group then instead of NOW. Sorry for any inconvenience . . .

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 pm 

I have 3 ric basses dating back to 1976, I have a spec lefty on order now. I will gladly want for it to arrive at my dealers store. Im gald ric still builds their basses in the states. I traded a music man bass in for this new bass which is also built in the states, but it doesnt have the workmenship my rics have. I wish J.H. and ric would come up with some type of system that they could let the dealers know a general time a guitar or bass may be produce. A 30 window would be nice. Or give the dealer a con.# and then the dealer could give it to the customer. Thats just my opinion, I will always play rics, because they are to best.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:46 am 

MPN, I haven't seen the posts that you are refering to...and I don't I want to either.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:26 pm 

There's a reason I avoid USENET like the plague.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For all intents and purposes- at least to the extent that it's possible- the news group in question is closed. Most ISP's have already removed it.

Neither the founder of the group, Peter McCormack, nor I post there given the wild west atmosphere and unsavory attitude displayed by some posters, so the information can be quite suspect. It's a shame given that one person, along with two friends, have been responsible for most of the problems.

The best way to see this newsgroup finally close is simply to avoid it and not post there, given that there really is no usenet shutdown mechanism per se. We do have other means to deal with the newsgroup but unfortunately they are not particularly ethical but at some point a case could be made for using unethical means against unethical activity.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » General Forum