Board index » General Forum

Post subject: NEW TO RICKENBACKER AFAIR
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:16 am 

Hi to all!!
This is Nikos from Athens Greece and I am new to RICKENBACKER AFAIR!!!
Recently I bought a Vox AC30CC1 which I play with a Yamaha Pacifica 604W. To cheap for that amp? Some they say!
I always wanted a Fender Stratocaster, but after reading some articles about my AC30, I notice a strong connection between VOX and RICKENBACKER. Is that only a reason for Beatles nostalgic matter, or something more?
(Thow, I am not crazy about the Beatles music I do like Tom Pety sound a lot).
Any way, I have some simple questions about Rickenbacker.
I like to play the Blues a lot, but also I do like melody tunes. Mostly I am an "in home musician" hopping to gig someday outside my home!
So, is it better to go on a semi acoustic Rickenbacker electric guitar 'like the model 360', or to a solid one 'like the model 620'? How different do they sound?
Is the sound of Rickenbacker guitars very binding and different to my tastes, or is it a versatile, good sounding instrument? "Beautiful it is for sure!!!!"
I wish someone to reply me in a general way about Rickenbacker electric guitars afair.
I look forward for a reply!!!

Post subject: Re: NEW TO RICKENBACKER AFAIR
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:19 am 

Nikos, it's good to have you here. The first thing I will tell you is this: get a Rickenbacker. Love it, learn it, create music with it. You can pick up Fenders to supplement your tone pallette later on when you feel curious -but I promise you will always come back to your Ric!

There are differences in resonance and response between solid and semi-hollow/hollowbody guitars, that is undeniable. But, in my experience, you can make your semi-hollow (ie. Ric) sound like a solid body, but you can never coax semi-hollow tones out of a solid plank guitar. It's very subjective too, as far as taste and style are concerned.

This afternoon I plugged my Ric 1997 straight into my Class A tube amp. I turned the volume up 2/3 and kept the gain very low. The sound was crystalline and divine. I slowly began to add more gain; at the halfway point I had a tone which was clear and articulate but started to have a throaty, bluesy break-up when I picked harder. This was a good place to stay for a while. In saying this, I hope to assure you that you can find your blues with a Ric (and your versatile Vox).

Insofar as Rickenbackers are associated with Tom Petty, the Byrds, and the Beatles, they are also cursed with the connection/endorsement. They do much MORE than what people in the Ric community call 'The Sound'. I have 10 or 12 guitars, but during the recording of my band's forthcoming album, I used ONE Ric almost exlusively -through a wide gammut of styles and songs.

I can see you with a 360/6, my friend...

cheers, Noel

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:12 pm 

I agree with Camel. I've used my Rics for jazz, blues, bluegrass, ragtime, Celtic, etc. in addition to the classic rock/oldies stuff.

The primary difference between the solid and hollow bodies is going to be sustain. The solid body Rics are sustain machines with their neck-through and dense maple bodies, they're going to have more bass to them too. The hollow bodies have set necks and less mass to them, so less sustain, but a richer, fuller sound.

There's no way to go wrong with any Ric and whatever genre you use it in, it'll give you a unique sound and look that will amaze people.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:49 am 

What Camel and Dubhear said goes for me too. The only thing Dubhear left out is all the great comments you'll get from all those amazed people. I play a 4003 bass, and never take my Rick anywhere (including guitar dealers that aren't RIC dealers) without getting compliments on looks, tone, etc.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:18 am 

People tend to think that Rickenbacker guitars are first choice for 60s style rock only. That is absolutely wrong. In fact these guitars are very versatile on the one hand while they have their own unique character on the other. It is this combination of these two things that makes me play nothing but Rickenbacker guitars - for Blues, Rock, Jazz, Alternative - I even surprise my music students sometimes by getting a perfect heavy metal sound out of my Ric.

The most versatile Rickenbacker guitar, that I know, is the 650, by the way. But all the six string intruments that are currently available are great sounding instruments.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:07 pm 

What a fast responce from Rickenbacker forum!
Thanks a lot guys!!! It was very usefull all that help.

I think with the first opportunity "Christmass are close!" I will have my Semi-acoustic 360 Rick!
(anyway I still could use as a solid guitar my handy Yamaha Pacifica).

I have found in fellow Thomann 360JG Jetglow, 1379 EUR.
Just I wonder why 360MID Midnight Blue, costs 1666 EUR.

Is it just the colour, or something else is going wrong?

"Because in 620, Jetglow and Midnight Blue costs the same!"
This would be a helpfull reply!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:01 pm 

There should be no real difference in cost if the guitars are the same age. Probably just a case of supply and demand...

Board index » General Forum