Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maybe it's just me...
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 am 

Ric and Harley Davidson... American made and committed to quality.

Did you know if you buy a harley Fat Boy, you don't get to "order" a color... you buy what they got on the showroom at the time because if you want a "custom" bike, you might wait years.

Harley knows how to keep it's customer base and so does Mr. Hall and company. i would rather spend the extra money and time and get quality rather than "lowball' it for the sake of instant gratification.

Two other things... I look at my Ric as an investment, just like I do my '88 Guild acoustic... it is only going to improve over time. And if you ever play a real decent guitar like a Ric or a good Gibson SG or a Gretsch Country Gent or a Guild Starfire III, you'll never, ever be satisfied with playing a crap guitar again. It just won't feel right at all and you will hate yourself in the morning.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:36 pm 

Agreed 100% with the sentiments of the two above posts.

I can't speak for you guys in the US, but here in England Rickenbackers are rightly thought of as legendary, highly sought-after instruments, as are *genuine* USA Fenders.

The sad thing is that Fender have made so many cheaper, watered-down versions of their guitars that it has diluted the appeal of the really good stuff. Nowadays only the most ardent musicians give a damn about a real '60s Strat, because there are so many poor quality copies that, to the untrained eye, look the same...so why pay over 1000 pounds sterling for something that (to most) is little/no different to a 300 quid clunker?

At least every time I see a Ric I can feel sure that it really is a quality instrument, and when I own one I can feel proud that it was made with the same care that I put into my music.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 am 

Quote:
I'm quite sure that most any other company with this many orders would have taken today's conventional course and sent the production to China or Korea.

My dad was in the company for 31 years and I've now racked up almost 40 myself. We've had one other employee in the 40 year bracket, several in the 30 year range, and many, many folks still with us for more than 20. I'm not sure how this happened exactly but I don't think this is a common trend in business today, looking at some resumes. At the same time, we also have plenty of new blood as well who are just as committed to seeing the product continue to be the best it can be on into the future.
Geeeez John, 20-40 year employee/associates is virtually unheard of in this part of the country. Other than being self-employed for 24 years, I can only think of one job I worked where I didn't get burned-out as result of poor management and leadership, causing me to quit after a year or so. You must provide a good work environment and re pore with your co-workers to keep them that long. Most employers fail to realize how important it is to provide a mentally, as well as physically sound work environment. Granted, there a several persons on this forum (including myself) who'd like to see some of these guitars in the flesh, but probably wouldn't be too impressed if the quality suffered from sloppy production techniques from cutting corners to increase production.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:50 am 

----I used to post at one site which got way too good at slamming you if you didn't agree. So I moved to yet another website where it seemed more civil. And that has proven to be effusive at best and abusive at worst.----

Another newbie here...my first Ric should arrive next week(yahoo!) I have been reading/participating in another forum and have had nothing but pleasant responses to my questions.

Is it poor forum etiquett to let us know where we need to be careful? I'd prefer to stay away from a particular forum if it has a bad reputation. If it can't be discussed public, feel free to email me.

Thanks in advance.

Valenti

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:24 am 

Quote:
Is it poor forum etiquett to let us know where we need to be careful? I'd prefer to stay away from a particular forum if it has a bad reputation. If it can't be discussed public, feel free to email me. Thanks in advance.Valenti
I guess to put it in the simplest terms . . . "DON'T post anything directed at anyone, that you wouldn't say to their face, where you could possibly get your lights put out!!!" Other than that . . . Go for it ! ! !

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:56 am 

I'm just curious.... certainly not a disappointed customer by any means... I bought a 350, custom ordered LH from the factory in 1985. I was told 7 months, that's what it took. Guitar came perfectly built. A Jetglo finish so shiny and smooth you could ice-skate on it.

I bought a 2002 12-string 330 on ebay a couple years back. It came in factory condition... I mean it was perfect. The previous owner really loved it. However: from the factory the buffing on the finish was incredibly irregular, kind of spotty. The fireglo burst on the front was horribly asymmetrical. Nice job on the back, but they clearly had to have a few goes at the front to round it off by the tailpiece. Pretty ugly really, though I still love this guitar and stare at it like a supermodel. Stays in tune great, but the general feeling of solid construction isn't there - especially in the tuners, though they do get the job done.

In my mind that appears to evidence a fairly substantial drop in quality and service over the years. We're not talking "like a late 60's Gretsch" drop, but you know... I noticed.

I still LOVE my Rickenbackers. Anyone have any comments or observations?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:17 pm 

I'm glad to see this thread. I totally agree with the things said about the quality of the produce and the values that John Hall has in terms of RIC.

I just got a '76 4001 and the only thing that is unfortunate is that my money went to a private individual and not to RIC. John's management is something that I can believe in, and I would gladly buy stock in RIC, but it is not a public company.... and therein (IMHO) is the secret.

I hope John can continue to keep RIC a private company. As soon as I can, I will purchase a new Rickenbacker bass, and that will be better than owning a piece of paper.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:10 pm 

I guess we can just let people complain about it, if they don't like it, there are plenty of other brands that they can get in less than a week. I think the place i work for is the best, of course I can't say 100% of the people are satisfied, who cares. let the baby have its bottle, new topic

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:52 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Is it poor forum etiquett to let us know where we need to be careful? I'd prefer to stay away from a particular forum if it has a bad reputation. If it can't be discussed public, feel free to email me. Thanks in advance.Valenti
I guess to put it in the simplest terms . . . "DON'T post anything directed at anyone, that you wouldn't say to their face, where you could possibly get your lights put out!!!" Other than that . . . Go for it ! ! !

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I completely agree/understand about that. What I should have asked was whether anyone was willing to post the URL of forums that have treated folks poorly. I'm a "forum" user back from when Compuserve was the only thing on line with my 2400 baud modem...oooh...the bad old days. :)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:03 pm 

Valenti,

I, too, was a Compuserve member way back when. So was John Hall. I think I may have actually started out my online experience on a Hayes Smartmodem 1200...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General Forum