Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maybe it's just me...
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:35 pm 

emswife,

The forum you're talking about is one that I joined up at over a year and a half ago. I was attacked there because I had respect for certain people and didn't agree with the way they despised certain other people. In fact, I'm probably one of the people they're referring to as a "bootlicker" and "yes man". That forum was supposed to be a better place than an older online forum, it was supposed to be a place where everyone's opinions were welcome. Apparantly, your opinions are welcome as long as you don't disagree with the party line. Just the same as the forum they were all angry at: it was just a different party line. At least the old place wouldn't tolerate personal attacks.

So I resigned and opened up a new membership so I could lurk now and then. After a while (and some prodding by members there), I rejoined under my own name. Supposedly, the place was getting better (and it really seemed to be), but it seems to have backslid in a big way.

It's funny, I started the thread there because I thought it would be good news for a certain guitar player who was waiting for a certain guitar. It turned into a total RIC and JH bashing session. So much for good tidings. I'd hate to be the bearer of BAD tidings there!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:33 am 

To quote a sophisticated recipient of a Costco sized can of whoop-ass . . . "Can't we all just get along ! ! !"

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 am 

LOL!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks guys for the positive comments. I have to say I was surprised and saddened to see some of the comments posted over there. There sure seems to be a lot of people there with axes to grind, opinions to vent, and other unknown motivations.

It's also a text book case of misinformation breeding itself or a germ of truth turning into a full, alternate reality.

The funny thing is that all of this stems from the success of the company and our inability to produce as many goods as fast as people would like to have them. There's no argument from me that we took too long to deliver the -C- Series but at the same time there's simply been too much demand too fast- maybe a smarter person would have dealt with it better but no one would have been as adamant about not cutting corners than I have been. Actually, I'm quite sure that most any other company with this many orders would have taken today's conventional course and sent the production to China or Korea.

But we're definitely a different kind of company and maybe we do wear our 75 year history since creating the electric guitar a bit visibly and cockily- but I'm also pretty proud of what the company as a team has accomplished, if a bit slowly sometimes.

My dad was in the company for 31 years and I've now racked up almost 40 myself. We've had one other employee in the 40 year bracket, several in the 30 year range, and many, many folks still with us for more than 20. I'm not sure how this happened exactly but I don't think this is a common trend in business today, looking at some resumes. At the same time, we also have plenty of new blood as well who are just as committed to seeing the product continue to be the best it can be on into the future.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Where are all these custom RIC guitars that they are talking about? Are they so unfamiliar with the company they are discussing that they don't know that RIC doesn't even HAVE a custom shop?
This is a reference to the ten or so instruments I allowed C Series team members to purchase. These weren't really custom in the sense that you could spec what you ordered; these were instruments produced from bodies and necks made during design and testing and did not have typical/correct dimensions or hardware. I guess the colors were custom to the extent that I allowed them to be any choice of our standard colors.

In the end, many of these ended up in the hands of some dealers and were sold to anyone that wanted them.

For the longest time these components were simply going to be sawed up and put in the dumpster, so in effect they were "saved" and kept alive for people to enjoy.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:11 am 

Mr.H., don't change a f-ing thing!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:13 am 

As a newbie to music forums, I found one and gladly participated. Nearly everything turned in to flaming, and I got people writing my personal email address to continue flaming me. I left, and found the other Ric forum, run by Peter M. Now, having just been "initiated" into the world of music forums, I started out on the Ric forum with a bit of attitude and a lot of unappreciated "jokes".

Well, after a spell of embarassment, I realized I was picking up a lot of good information, and learning about a company like no other.

I met JH at the Socal Con, he is as pleasant a guy as you'd ever meet, genuinely pleased to see all of us there, appreciating his product. It should be clear to all he is devoted to his company's guitars, hence his customers.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:28 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Where are all these custom RIC guitars that they are talking about?
Mine's a custom job. So is (or are) yours. Ever seen two that were _exactly_ the same? Well then!
By each being different on some way, that is the companys standard and not a 'custom shop'. That was my point. So basically we were agreeing with each other on this.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:43 am 

J.H. thats why I traded a 2004 mm and a 1975 kramer 5001 for a new lefty ric. Im saddend by the wait, but like the good book says, good things come to those who wait. I own 3 ric 4003's and a Lefty peavy crappy bass. I know how wonderful it is to smell a new ric right out of a the case for the first time. you never forget that smell. I know the workmanship that goes into ech bass and it is the best in the world. If I lived in Cali. I would work for ric and produce one of the world finest bass. Hold your head up and keep rockin. thanks

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:17 am 

At the risk of getting booted, my only concern and agenda is getting a 325C64.
I'm truly pleased to see John admit that it took too long to bring these to market.
And I understand and appreciate the time it takes to make them right.
But the key is communication.
Why couldn't "we" (the customers) be told when these were coming out? An actual time line?
I work as a distributor for storage products and even when something is custom ordered, we HAVE to get delivery dates.
And they can change from time to time, but at least there is a time frame to work with.
That's the issue.
It has nothing to do with questioning the quality of RIC products. I have eight (8) RIC's right now. The long await 325C64 will make nine and I have no doubt I will buy more.
I love to play my RIC's, regardless of the fact that I play in a TRIB show and have to play them for my role.
RIC's are great guitars...period. (and I own over 40 other guitars....really.)
But, there really can't be any mystery when everything has to be planned for marketing, shipping, order quotas, etc.
YES...your companies expertise has made the demand high and that's what you are seeing in the frustration on some of those forums.
But, if you didn't make a good product and one that people want, you wouldn't be in business or doing the business you now have. It's the double edged sword. Sorry.
So, kick me off for not giving ATTA-BOYS and opening my big mouth. All I want is the guitar that I saw and heard about and was told would be made years ago.
And I'll take that guitar, whether I'm still a member here or not, and proudly tour the globe, playing and showing it off to everyone that sees our show.
Just make it. Tell me when the initial orders will be filled and I can expect the US orders to ship.
Then I'll GLADLY be your traveling poster. I know I've created sales for RIC and have no problem continuing. (I'm in the non-commission sales field for RIC.)
I'm a happy customer and have been for 30 years.
But, don't assume I have an agenda or an axe to grind.
Call my office and order some shelving, racking or custom furniture for your office/warehouse. I'll tell you exactly when you will get it.
All I have been asking for is the same respect back.

Carlo Cantamessa
Manager/Player
The CAST of BEATLEMANIA
www.moptops.com
AND
President
PSI-New England Storage Products
464 Wolcott Road
Wolcott, CT 06716
www.psi-nesp.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » General Forum