Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Maybe it's just me...
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 am 

Or maybe it is the fact that this website is used by Ric owners who can appreciate what Mr. Hall and Rickenbacker provides to the musical world... but there sure are some hateful folks out there in the big bad world.

I used to post at one site which got way too good at slamming you if you didn't agree. So I moved to yet another website where it seemed more civil. And that has proven to be effusive at best and abusive at worst.

It seems, on both these sites, that because Mr. Hall and Ric insist on a quality product that is not mass produced by children in mexico or korea and believe that a quality product is more important that a bottom line, then Ric and Mr. Hall personally are some kind of villians.

I see all kinds of griping about the length of time to get a Ric and how this is taking too long or that is being released on time... and when I try to defend the practices of a Company like Rickenbacker in a world of Kia's and Jaguar made by Ford and planned obsolesence in your computer and cell phone, I GET DISSED that I want to "deify" John Hall.

Sheesh... I waited 38 years until the right deal was available and I could afford what I wanted. I had to do some trading and put some money out but it was well worth it. Probably, the only time an investment plan of mine has worked out with the result I wanted and $300 cash to spare.

MR. Hall, you run a righteous company and in a day when most corporate execs are just looking for a "golden parachute" (Jill Barad at Mattel comes to mind... after she trashed the Mattel company), I take pride in knowing you have a sympathetic ear and an insistence on quality. I know where I can buy a Ric guitar right off the shelf right now. All I have to do is be willing to do some work. (BTW, I can't wait for the Arlington Texas guitar show... all those beautiful guitars from Dave's in LaCrosse and the Buffalo Brothers in California...)

Keep up the good work. And as somebody said "Damn the torpedoes... full speed ahead" (I;m sure it wasn't Tom Petty originally!).

Post subject: Re: Maybe it's just me...
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:29 am 

I agree...Mr. Hall is filling a small niche in a huge market. If he were to begin mass producing Ric's in order to satisfy those that complain about avalability, he wouldn't be building the product that fills the need of our niche.

Mr. Hall, keep up the great work and this niche will remain forever faithful to you

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:51 am 

Two things...

Once again, I visited that site and the complaints are mostly from those overseas customers who seem to think that JH is not doing them a personal favor by making his products readily accessible... but not so for Japan, or so the writing implies. There were more than one or two unkind things said about those of us who appreciate a craftsman and a gentleman.

Second of all, where in Idaho do you call home, L?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:21 am 

emswife,

I couldn't agree with you more. There's a forum I lurk on once in a while. Just yesterday, mere hours after the word got out that there were 325C64s in the assembly area at RIC, someone started slamming JH and the company for the delays on the C-series.

The whole idea behind the C-series is to get everything done RIGHT to the best of their abilities. No compromises in quality, components, or detail. If that takes a long time to do, too frikkin' bad. Some things are very much worth waiting for. A Rickenbacker is one of them.

Personally, I applaud anyone who will stand up for quality -- even in the face of heat from idiots who can't think past next week -- and who will accept nothing less than getting things done according to their vision.

I have a huge amount of respect for John Hall. He truly cares about Rickenbacker and the quality of the instruments that come out of his factory. And note, I said I respect him. I do not deify him (for instance, I have never claimed, nor do I believe, that John Hall can walk on water or raise the dead). People who can't see the difference between deification and respect really have issues that go beyond anything that can be taken up on a forum such as this one.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:54 am 

There's only a handful of full-production instrument companies that think like Ric: Ken Smith and Tom Anderson come to mind. The wait for either of those companies is notably longer than a Ric and the cost is notably higher... Anyone who complains about how Mr. Hall does business is out of their mind.

Building no-compromise instruments of the highest quality and charging the actual value of the instrument instead of creating an artificially high price is commendable, and all too rare, in this industry.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:22 am 

Quote:
Second of all, where in Idaho do you call home, L?
Pocatello...South East side of the state. Gotta have the worst weather in the world

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 am 

I haved played Rickenbacker basses since 1972. I have owned just about every other brand too. Rickenbacker quality is among the finest.
I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Hall at the confluence in Southern California recently. This is a CEO that is most concerned about the integrity of his company. Mr. Hall was quite open about his loyalty to his dealers. The dealers should only know how much it annoys him that orders can't be filled quick enough. As you all know Rickenbacker will not sacrifice it's quality.
There are guitars and basses out there. I just purchased a 4001 C64 from a dealer in Kentucky. Between calling every dealer on the website and the help of the guys in customer service I was able to get my new baby! There are many dealers who do not advertise on thier websites. I know where there is a 4001 C64S right now if anyone is looking. I found 3 other C64's. It was well worth the hunt. My new C64 is a killer! The workmanship is the best I have seen from Ric.
Thank you Mr. Hall for keeping this USA company intact.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:47 pm 

This is a direct quote from a member over there:

Well, I don't know about the yes man thing regarding Patrick, although John certainly does have many of them. I could name some names, but it would be pointless. Let's just say these guys have been licking his boots for awhile now, because they figured they would get custom Rick's and special treatment from him, and in fact, most of them have. That's all it's ever been about, and those people doing it know it, and I'm sure John knows it too, but maybe he doesn't care. Dealt with John for many years now, off and on, and for every satisfied customer of Rickenbacker, there have been tons of others treated like garbage, so let's not put anyone on a pedestal, ummk? None of this is anything new or speculation, I've seen the guitars, seen the tours of the factory, heard about the guitars, custom ones, etc... I'm not sure who these folks are trying to impress, it's rather pathetic and embarrasing to be honest. But John runs the company and can do what he wants, and do favors for whoever he wants, so no point in even worrying about it, it's a waste of time.

I guess this means I can expect that custom Ric I haven't even thought about yet any time now, right?

Pathetic....

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:47 pm 

Quote:
(BTW, I can't wait for the Arlington Texas guitar show... all those beautiful guitars from Dave's in LaCrosse and the Buffalo Brothers in California...)

Keep up the good work. And as somebody said "Damn the torpedoes... full speed ahead" (I;m sure it wasn't Tom Petty originally!).
Hey, Emswife....what part of Texas are you in? I used to live in Grand Prarie.

'Damn the torpedoes' was a quote from Tennessee native U.S. Admiral David Farragut at either the battle of Mobile bay or the battle of New Orleans (I don't remember which)during the Civil War.

As per your last post, I couldn't agree with you more. Where are all these custom RIC guitars that they are talking about? Are they so unfamiliar with the company they are discussing that they don't know that RIC doesn't even HAVE a custom shop?

The simple fact is that many people are so accustomed to instant gratification that they can only appreciate a company with mass production on 2 or more continents and minimal quality control. When they see a well made instrument with extremely good QC they think it is 'custom' and favors have been done by the companys CEO for some imaginary or percieved reason that makes no sense at all.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:37 pm 

Quote:
Where are all these custom RIC guitars that they are talking about?
Mine's a custom job. So is (or are) yours. Ever seen two that were _exactly_ the same? Well then!

[Boring technical webbish thing: having re-read Greg's post properly (always a good idea when quoting!), I decided to delete mine as being redundant; but the site says "You must enter a message". I suppose there had to be _something_ wrong with the site...]

Board index » General Forum