Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Cases
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:34 pm 

When did Rickenbacker guitar cases start getting blue interiors and how long have they been blue? I have a 2005 model and the interior is black.

Post subject: Re: Cases
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's no set dates for use of blue or black, or any of the other colors for that matter. It's related to the availablity of the material and in the past, the particular case supplier.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:06 am 

Quote:
When did Rickenbacker guitar cases start getting blue interiors and how long have they been blue? I have a 2005 model and the interior is black.
Randal! Nice to see you on our Forum.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:05 am 

Quote:
When did Rickenbacker guitar cases start getting blue interiors and how long have they been blue?
JH would know best of course, but I will add this simply based on what I've seen; in the broad scope of things, there seemed to have been 'trends' that were followed here and there.

I'm thinking the earliest examples that resemble what comes closest to the current 'vintage reissue' cases appeared around 1960-61 with lighter sliver-grey tolex and blue pile lining. I know of a 1960 310 that has the sliver outside but with a red pile interior. My own 1967 950 is silver w/red, factory original. Hardware varied from manufacturer to manufacturer of course. Prior to 1960-61 most cases had a red lining but had a dull grey-green covering. It appears black tolex as an outer covering was used more and more by 1968 most with a blue lining, but some cases in the late 60's early 70's resembled the type that most Fender instruments were shipped with. There were others, like brown tolex, used a bit with Electros and Ryders and some Rickenbackers probably too.

As John Hall said there aren't any specifics, this is all on what I've seen just from observations of what people have and thru pics....

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:37 am 

Where can I buy a new case that will fit an old 481 slant-fret model? I am planning to send this guitar out for a refin sometime soon, and I truly dislike the case that came with the guitar, as it has a big block in it behind the neck that raises the guitar so that it sits at an angle in the case--I think the case was originally for a thicker hollow-bodied type of guitar....I am concerned about the stress that this may be putting on my Ric's neck. And how much would a new case cost?

(Really, it's the SMELL I'm after, LOL! I want to open up the case to my newly refinished Ric and have my senses assailed by that sweet new Rick-o-'roma!) :)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:07 am 

Oh come on.... Can't anybody help me out here?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 am 

Melissa, you or your SO can knock that block out of the case if you are careful. Wrap the guitar in bubble pack inside the case, with extra underneath the neck. Send the block in separately. I'll modify the block so the guitar sits nice and flat, and put it back where it belongs. When you get guitar and case back, it'll look like it came that way.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Melissa, is that big block made of foam by any chance? Some cases in the past were made to be like an old tennis racket press. The angles all seem wrong until the lid is shut tight but then every thing is wedged very tightly in place.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:24 am 

JH, the block seems to be made out of wood, lined with a thin piece of foam in the notch that holds the neck.... I don't think this is the original case for this guitar, although it looks just as beat up as the guitar, LOL!

Paul, before I send the guitar I will attempt to knock the block out of there--unless I opt for a new case.... Another reason I hate this case is because when I open it up it smells musty and moldy, like the damp basement where the previous owner probably kept it for years. Is there any way to get rid of that smell? I seem to remember in your post on Peter's Ric forum about getting your Electro that you cleaned up the case on that one very nicely--although this one might be beyond hope, LOL!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:38 am 

So.... If I did decide to get a new case for the 481, where would I go to find one?

Board index » General Forum