Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recently shipped option for Europe!
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:25 pm 

Sadly I too have to agree wth crazypink on this,having followed this thread with dismay at how a question can turn into a bun fight.
I'm pretty level headed and realise that the US market has the problem with waiting as well as the UK and European market, but for company Reps to start bringing in factors concerning Euro impatience is a bit below the belt and frankly childish.
There were some excellent points made on European taxes in response to one of Johns posts. But removing them does leave a sour taste as to the reason why. I for one realise that John tried to answer these but the resulting responses did offer straightforward and awkward questions to which the response was not constructive but more like a brush under the carpet and it will be forgot about type scenario.
To have offered a response would have been much better. After all, this is a forum, which really is an area where debates should be encouraged and not removed when the questions get a little awkward.
I'm sad to have seen this happen at this site. But the responses in question only go further to ignite more questions.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:08 pm 

Sadly I too have to agree wth crazypink on this,having followed this thread with dismay at how a question can turn into a bun fight.
I'm pretty level headed and realise that the US market has the problem with waiting as well as the UK and European market, but for company Reps to start bringing in factors concerning Euro impatience is a bit below the belt and frankly childish.
There were some excellent points made on European taxes in response to one of Johns posts. But removing them does leave a sour taste as to the reason why. I for one realise that John tried to answer these but the resulting responses did offer straightforward and awkward questions to which the response was not constructive but more like a brush under the carpet and it will be forgot about type scenario.
To have offered a response would have been much better. After all, this is a forum, which really is an area where debates should be encouraged and not removed when the questions get a little awkward.
I'm sad to have seen this happen at this site. But the responses in question only go further to ignite more questions.
What did suprise me was Johns response concerning Rosetti in which it was stated that they were well stocked and in effect forward looking. This suprises me as a friend of mine recently ordered a stock 620 from an authorised RIC dealer in the UK. He was told that Rosetti had non in stock and he would have to wait up to 6 weeks, which then turned into 8 weeks which then went on further. In the end my friend gave up. This was a stock model. No frills or extras.He then tried quite a few other authorised Ric dealers around the UK and was told he would have to wait for Rosetti to ship one in. This goes against what John was saying about them being well stocked to meet demand.
I could have understood it if my friend wanted toasters or say a rarer colour on this 620. But this was just a standard 620.
I've yet to see a model supplied by Rosseti to any UK dealer and advertised that goes against the norm like a fireglo 350. It seems that here in the UK the only option is the standard colour option. If I wanted a jetglo 660 I could bet that if I called Rosetti tomorrow I would be told that I would have to wait. Which I would do and have no problem with, but my point is, that to me, taking the scenario I have just mentioned into account and the story of my friend and his wait for a standard 620 is Rosetti as well stocked with VARIATION as one would be led to believe?
I could go to a US dealer website for example +the rickenbacker page and see almost every model in almost every combination of pickup types and colour types you could imagine. I wouldn't even dream of asking Rosetti if they have any combinations like that because I know what the answer would be.
Now don't get me wrong over all this. I am not a EURO MOANER, if I have to wait I wait whatever. BUT I do not entirely agree that Rosetti are stocked to the hilt or can provide me with a guitar that is other than stock model. I'm NOT saying WE here in Europe and the UK have a bum deal.
I just don't believe we get the CHOICE of models equivelent to the US unless we order via Rosetti who then put the order in with RIC.
Merely my observation.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:10 pm 

SORRY my edit alloted time ran out!!!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:10 pm 

A most interesting topic and one that lets emotions run a bit high. I think that John Hall put it best when he mentioned to online Rickenbacker enthusiasts some time ago "What is it that you guys don't understand about running at 100 percent capacity?" I hope I have not taken liberty with my memory of his precise words, but certainly that is the gist of what he said.

When the demand exceeds the supply the frustration to find the instrument of your dreams goes up. Throw in a dash of Value Added Taxes, import charges, shipping, brokerage and the like and an affordable US instrument becomes an unaffordable one abroad. So do we browbeat the company that crafts this beautiful product. I don't think so.

Every country has its own unique obstacles to bringing in a Rickenbacker. The solution, at least to my way of thinking, is to network with other Rickenbacker owners around the world and pool their resources to find what you need. In my own personal situation, I have found that buying a used Rickenbacker is an affordable solution. The quality of these instruments is still top notch and yes even sometimes "top notched."

So go out and network with other Rickenbacker owners. Our world has shrunk immensely when it comes to contacting others, but at the same time our hearts have grown in our desire to help those in need of a Rickenbacker.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:20 pm 

I look at it this way... The CEO of rickenbacker is taking time to personally answer and address customer issues and questions... now if that is not caring about your customers, then what is?

Other companies’ mass-produce instruments in many different countries. Everyone can then get one, but build quality and value goes down. Ric does their best to meet demand, but demand far outweighs supply. I would personally rather wait a long time to get a fine instrument then be able to walk to the local music store and buy a poorly made, mass produced piece of junk.

Also, Mr. Hall is a businessman. He cannot get into a situation where it looks like he might be endorsing public criticism of his current distributors, good or bad. I think posts were removed that could be taken the wrong way by a third party.

John

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:51 pm 

The posts that were posted couldn't have been taken the wrong way as there was nothing wrong with the posts. The problem was with the distributor, who as far as Im concerned as a businessman, wasn't replying to emails from customers about their orders, or enquiries by others about products they wanted to buy. Not very good business.

Surely if a distributor places an order for a customer he must answer questions about that order if a customer has one, or potential customers asking about products they want to buy. I think its unacceptable to just ignore emails, and it's very unprofessional.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 pm 

Well said Peter. I once sent an email rant about the state of affairs in the UK to Rickenbacker & to my surprise, John himself answered it in a very friendly manner informing me of the whys & wherefors! John is in a position whereby he runs a successful international business, but also deals in peoples dreams & as such is bound to draw attention to all aspects of his business. The fact is that he builds the best gtrs in the world & we love them. He refuses to substitute quantity for quality & has retained a passionate interest in his products....in short, he wont sell out!!!

Peter is right....you can source Rickenbackers from other avenues if you have to. What I found frustrating in the first place, is something that I actually enjoy now....sourcing Rics. The Ric family is a very friendly one & IMO we should all work together at keeping the Rickenbacker name the exclusive, world class product that it is, as well as spreading the word.

The gtr that you want is available....you just have to search a little sometimes....it's great fun!

I do agree that some of these criticisms should be taken up directly with the distributors in the first place, as there are obviously unhappy end users about....not with Ric, but with the distributors.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:29 pm 

I source my Rics from wherever I can get them, and will continue to do so in the future. Ultimately though I can only source (within the UK that is)from dealers that in the end only get what they can from the UK distributor,in this case Rosetti. I have no real gripes with Rosetti and I have said this before on other topics.
What angered me about this particular thread was the way questions (admittedly close to the bone I guess!!)were dealt with.

I for one don't expect John to 'sell out' or compromise a lifetime (and family's)work, for the sake of a few moaning individuals!! But responding in the way that prevailed was Imho a bit sad.

I intended to keep well clear of this thread until those posts were removed.

Ultimately though John is the CEO and this his board.
We are just the customers and I guess if one is lost through actions as happened here it doesn't really matter as there will ALWAYS be other customers.Nature of the beast I guess.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:55 pm 

I agree with Rich, and also have no real gripes with Rosetti, have bought from them in the past and will do so in the future. I just wish they would order some of the 4004's and 650's for free stock, that way myself and others wouldn't have to search about where ever for them. As I have said before I would much rather utilize Rosetti to support our UK distributor, than to buy elsewhere.

Distribution problems are always going to be there I'm sure, but if they can be minimized all the better.

I will continue to purchase RIC strings and accessories either direct from Rosetti or via my local music shop.

I for sure will still continue do buy RIC products, as I have done for years, epecially as there competitor's aren't up to the quality or sound Imo.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:45 am 

I don't know the answer to this question, because I have never lived overseas, but how easy is it to get other American products there? Probably not that easy, but I would go thru the same problem if I were trying to get a Mini before they started sending them over here in droves.

The point is, it is an imported product, they are running at full capacity, would you really want a substandard product in a faster time? The reason we love Rics is because they ARE the way they are, top of the line, beautifully crafted instruments with painstaking attention to detail. Would you rather they skimp on your guitar just to get it out the door faster?
Maybe skip a few layers of finish, or say that sanding or fret job is "good enough"? I don't think so. How many other manufacturer's instruments have you had to try to get a "good one"? With Ric, thankfully, they are ALL "good ones".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Forum