Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recently shipped option for Europe!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I really do share my opinions with Doctorno. There IS a supplier in Finland for Rics (into-luthman or like) but when I called them in March 05 they said no Rics available. in June I ordered my 330FG from Thomann when their net site announced there were some, I asked them for 6-string 330 for curiosity somewhere in Jan - Mar 05 then they replied "it is easier to squeeze water outta stone than get a Ric (ASAP)"
This is the problem: You guys seem to think that Rickenbackers are items that dealers in the U.S. usually have available.

You couldn't be more wrong.

It is customary to place an order for a 330 and have to wait months for it. There is no such thing as "asap" for us right now. Don't believe me? Think we're blowing sunshine? Ask any of our American customers. Accept this as common knowledge as they have.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:54 am 

HI, quit the crying in the uk. im here in the states and ordered a 4003 lefty mglo with right handed strings and im having to wait at least 18 months. If I didnt love ric basses so much i would tell them to stick it, but no one makes a bass like ric. So im stuck playing a left handed peavy bass until mine comes in. I have 3 ric that are right handed but they have been put up in storage. a white 1976 4001- a 1980 fg 4001 and a 1989 4003s. I had to drive 300 miles to talk to my ric dealer, who only had a 4001v63fg and it was already sold. The dealer had 2 basses on order for stock but had know idea when they would be in. He has got one in the last month, of course they were rh. by the way I had to pay for this bass up front. I trust ric and john hall to met my order in time.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:51 am 

Quote:
It's difficult enough for us with you telling your US dealers that they can't ship to Europe which I find really unfair and unbusiness like, surely all Rickenbacker users outside of the US are equally important to you as your US ones, at the end of the day you still get your orders as well as your money.
Warren, I can understand your frustration, but if the US dealers were able to ship guitars outside the USA, I'm assuming it wouldn't be fair to authorized RIC ditributors around the world. It might even break come kind of fair agreemnt. These are just assumptions, there might be other very valid reasons why this policy is the way it is.

I live very close to the RIC factory and I waited 18 months for a 4004Cii5. Once I had finally got it, I forgot about the wait, it was well worth it.

I've recently had the honor and pleasure of touring the RIC factory (thanks again John Hall). Especially after bring there and seeing how the Hall family runs RIC and the craftsmanship that goes into them, I really understand and appreciate why it takes a bit of a wait for an instrument.

Once I'm certain which model and finish I want, I'm going to place an order for another bass soon. I know I may be in for another bit of a wait, it's okay, I'll wait.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:55 am 

This may get me shot but the solution to this whole scarcity thing would be for Mr. Hall to add 400.00+ across the board to everything he sells(price increase to dealers)world wide..He would find out real quick where the real love is!! His profitability would scream and this "Wizard Of Oz" stuff would vanish. Sometimes,a very high price gives the illusion that the goods are really worth the price and thus increases the percieved value. Let's be real..Ric is a small company with a very loyal following and a huge reputation/name...these are generally very well made products and will probably never be big stock items anywhere unlike Fender or Gibson etc.
Rather than trying to get "big", John could become extemely profitable by continuing to perfect his website and move towards really professional customer /dealer sevice!! With the reduction in demand, imagine calling Ric and getting very accurate production schedules on any item at any time..rather than the sad appearance that "nobody Knows nuthin".

Those are the thoughts from a guy who plays nothing but Ric basses!!(also, a guy who fantasises about owning Ric one day)!!
mitch

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:39 pm 

I for one will still but my Rickenbacker basses in Europe as they hold more free stock and are easier to obtain there.

My original Rickenbackers were ordered when Rickenbacker had their own distribution here, which was excellent and always very helpful.

More European RIC dealers hold 4004 basses than Rosetti ever order in, since production started on the 4004 and 650 range Rosetti have only ever ordered in a few.

I can order various other Rickenbackers right now in the US if the dealers would allow, I could even get close friends to buy them on my behalf and ship them to me.

Holland is the easiest place in Europe to buy 4004's and 650's, where I have bought for a while. It suits me and is easier for me, Im not happy with this and would rather utilise Rosetti's services, but until this changes I have to buy from elsewhere.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:49 am 

Quote:
I'm told that there's about a hundred authorized RIC stores in the German, Austrian, and Benelux areas. Their stock situation isn't any better or any worse than any stores here in the U.S. Kroc's statement "it is easier to squeeze water outta stone than get a Ric (ASAP)" is just as valid here as there.

This discussion also serves to highlight a decidely different cultural difference between Americans and Europeans on the issue of patience.

First of all I am sure that it is a prejudice to conclude that Europeans are less patient than Americans. There are a few cultural differences between America and Europe, that is for sure, but certainly not in this respect.

I wonder who told you that there are about a hundred authorized RIC stores in Germany, Austria and the Benelux. Did you ever bother to check this information yourself?

I tried to find out who is an authorized Rickenbacker dealer in Europe. The German distributor is announcing its website as "coming soon" for three years, now. E-Mails are not answered. I wonder, if this company still exists. The Italian distributor has a proper web page, but no information about authorized dealers and all the information is offered in the Italian language only. The Belgian distributor mentions that he offers RICs on its site but does not mention any Rickenbacker dealer, whereas they are mentioning dealers for all other brands they carry.

Do you really want to tell me that the situation in Europe is the same as in the US? As I said before, my parents are living in the USA and I know some authorized dealers there. It is true that usually these dealers do not offer a wide range of Rickenbackers and that you have to order certain models and wait a long time for them, but they usually have a 330, 620 or so in stock and you can buy Rickenbacker strings there, at least. Also your website makes it easy to find an authorized dealer in the US, whereas it is almost impossible to find one over here.

Maybe it would be a suggestion to reduce the number of distributors for Europe. In my opinion it would make sense to have only one distributor that really does his job, offers a proper web page and works together with a few authorized dealers. We have a common market here that works really well in recent years within those countries that have the Euro as their currency. If you say that you need an European distributor to handle the EU regulations, warranty issues etc., wouldn´t one distributor that really does his job for all the countries that have the Euro do?

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Note that I've regretfully chosen to remove several posts in this thread.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:09 am 

The bottom line is that "it is what it is". I for one have loved the Ric basses for decades and really have no business (I guess) trying to tell a guy how to run his. Guy's like me will need to work within the system that is established or play in someone elses sandbox. There are plenty of great basses out there, and I've sold off plenty through the years. At the ripe old age of 47, I'll slowley build and modify my Ric collection. I have a 4003s8 jg in mint condition shipping to me very soon. I could have bought a used Hamer 12 for way less than I'm paying for the Ric 8. I know that I would regret buying the Hamer and will love the Ric 8. I've sold off two in the past..think what they would be worth today!!!

my goof!
mitch

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:18 am 

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm 

John I think it is very poor that you have removed peoples posts, which were not rude about you or the Rickenbacker company, only stating that the European distributors network has problems, especially those in Germany who website has stated coming soon for 3 years and who doesn't return email to their customers!

If you have a forum you should allow people to express their feelings and views about your company, whether good or bad! You may not like what you hear but at least people are being honest with you, it maybe that you don't like customers writing bad things about your company, but it is a fact of life in business that we cannot please everyone.

All complaints should be taken seriously by the CEO of such a fantastic and creative company as yours. Complaints and views from customers are good and healthy for business, it can only make a business better and stronger.

I don't have a problem with you or Rickenbacker, I have stuck to your products for years, but to say I was disappointed when I saw you remove posts from this thread is an understatement, all because a guy was unhappy, not being able to get your products and trying to contact all your European distributors without much luck. His comments and remarks were both constructive and valid, and instead of removing his posts you as a CEO should really have been more helpful towards a loyal customer, who was struggling to buy your products.

By removing customers posts from your forum it then opens you to unwanted criticism from all, and makes customers think that you are covering up problems and not being willing to help them.

Surely in hindsight this wasn't a very good move for you to make!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Forum