Board index » General Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Recently shipped option for Europe!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:02 am 

I also understand what Tony is saying, but how far does one go to source the Ric he wishes?
The sheer ability to gain products via the grey market surely makes a complete mockery of the legit distribution system in anycase? I'm not for a minute infering that going grey market is what Tony implied but under the term 'sourcing' it is a recognised method!!
Strong words I know.....Which will land me in trouble no doubt..But sadly true.

It does however serve to highlight the question once again set by Doctorno about the necessity for distribution in its present format.

In this day and age with the advent of the web I'm convinced there must be a new model for distribution methods. Why couldn't a shop in the UK or US order direct from the factory When he needs it? That shop will know the popularity of certain models over others in his locale much better than the distributor who may bring in 50 units of one model and 50 of another only to see the one outselling the other. A shop in another countrie may have the opposite problem, but the guitars he wants are sat in the first distribution warehouse gathering dust. Then people don't get what they want because estimates devised by the distributor were wrong.
If everything was sourced from the factory direct I doubt half the problems talked of would exist.

But hey I'm not a business man!!!!......Thankfully. I Just play em.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:13 am 

In fact thinking about it wouldn't that type of distribution method put a stranglehold on the grey market?
If some guy went into a shop and ordered 5 rics or more the alarm bells would start ringing wouldn't they? It would surely help RIC to keep a handle of exactly what guitars are where, whats more popular in some areas over others thus enabling a more realistic build requirement against demand.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:21 am 

Anyway.....Those are my pounds worth! I may not be here this time tomorrow. For the record I will always buy RIC...But I do fear for my lifespan here on the forum after all this!! (:-`

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:31 am 

To be honest my original post on the Forum wasn't to criticize the lack of products being made and it wasn't even a criticism against Rickenbacker or the distributors. I was asking for a "just/recently shipped option" to be made available on the Rickenbacker website for UK/Europe, so that its was possible to trace what distributors or dealers had what, allowing potential customers to find out where exactly to call for the exact product they wanted. Thus allowing anyone in the UK or Europe to find a product that was readily available before making an order.

The "Recently Shipped" option which was introduced for US customers was a very good idea, and I was just asking for that to be expanded for the UK/Europe.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:36 am 

I must confess Rich that I was NOT referring to the grey market. I was referring to NOS, hidden away in music stores & more particularly to mint condition used stock, of which there seems to be a quantity about, readily available from all over the world, the US included....all be it you have to hunt for it. Remember that you can buy used gtrs without infringing agreements from the US & anywhere else. I fully admit that if you want a brand new gtr in a particular colour & don't want to wait months or years, then it may be a tall order to get one in the UK. But if you don't mind a mint used one, then the world's your oyster....

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:40 am 

Many months ago, I asked Rosetti if they could publish a list of Rickenbacker stock on their web site. They of course said no, but maybe the onus should be on them to provide this new service that Ric have introduced & not on Ric themselves. After all, Ric could send Rosetti a shipment of gtrs,of which half were pre ordered, so we still wouldn't know what Rosetti had available!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:31 am 

as strange as this may sound. I can probably get almost any ric model that I want used..if I'm willing tp PAY for it.
I'm sure that if I really wanted a 4005 in great shape, I could find someone who will sell if I pay a big premium on top of an already high price...EVERYTHING is for sale!!!!
I'm paying 2500.00 for an almost new ric 4003s8 jg. I sold my last one that was new for 1100.00.

It is what it is!!!

mitch
ps. Ed Roman guitars sold a "Lemmy" bass for around 7500.00 (or so I'm told). I wonder if that violates any "dealer" agreements!?! Who cares...the reality is "supply and demand". If I want it and only a few have it..I'm gonna have to make $$ offer very tempting!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:42 am 

Thank you very much, crazypink. Also thanks to you, rich. I will give no further comments on this topic, because I do not want my account to be deleted. Of course, Rickenbacker will not lose me as their customer despite what has happened. I just love their guitars.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:36 pm 

Thanks Doctorno. I think there is little else to say too. Like you I will continue to buy my Rics. Just as I buy CD's by bands that make good music, I don't have to like the individual members of the band, for example doing anything to grab the headlines to promote a single (Oasis a case of note!) but the end product is always worth a listen!!

That said some might comment that's more fool me, cause I'm the one, along with many others, who spend their hard earnt cash to keep these people and their product in the position they are in.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:59 am 

Like the last poster said, there is nothing more to say here, so I am locking this thread. To throw in my $.02, however, those of you complaining about posts being removed should keep in mind that this is a corporate website. Free speech doesn't really apply here.

There are plenty of places on the internet for people to go if they wish to express hostility towards our company and/or distributors. This is not one of them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » General Forum