Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Cheap Rickenbacker wanted
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:39 am 

I am a beginner guitarist looking for a cheap Rickenbacker 12 string but cannot afford any I see in a shop. I am desperate for that classic Rickenbacker sound. If anyone has one they want to sell to me under $500 I'll gladly think about the option but unfortunately I cannot make a promise I cannot keep.

Post subject: Re: Cheap Rickenbacker wanted
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:32 am 

fields, dude, I never ever thought I would be able to afford a Rickenbacker, and it took me years to figure out how to get a hold of one, but it paid off! The idea is this: start saving some dough until you have enough for one.
I know it sounds lame, it sure did to me (I know you're thinking that'll take years and years) but it works!! Have a little patience and some real determination to save some bucks and I'm telling you, you'll have that Ric a whole lot faster than you think! If you already have 500 clams for it you're not that far off.
Man, I can still remember how proud I was when I took the 4003FL out of the case! Hang in there dude, hope you're playing that Ric soon!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:32 am 

Your chances aren't too good, a used 650 goes for around $600, I wouldn't expect to see a used 12 for under $800. I'd say look for a really beat 1980s 620/12 or 330/12.

Good Luck!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:11 am 

cheap, rickenbacker, and 12 string...hmm I don't think i'll ever see those in a sentence again! Even if you can't pay in full for one, some places might offer financing, I think some of the online dealers do it. You might want to check it out.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:38 am 

Sorry if its not appropriate, but I see ebay has a few going for a reasonable price (so farso cheap, but I guess they are climbing).

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Rickenbacker-3 ... dZViewItem

If you are determined then there is a Rick out there with your name on it...Your very own prize waits patiently: it's just waiting for you to find it, dreaming of the music it will play for you.

In the meantime save yer cash mate.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:41 am 

Quote:
[...] start saving some dough until you have enough for one.
I know it sounds lame, it sure did to me (I know you're thinking that'll take years and years) but it works!! Have a little patience and some real determination to save some bucks and I'm telling you, you'll have that Ric a whole lot faster than you think! [...]

Great advice doc. When I first started playing in Jr. High, I knew the a Ric was the bass I wanted, but I also knew I could not afford one. So I bought a cheap P copy to learn on, and after a couple of years I was able to afford a mapleglo 4001. It may seem like a long time, but you'll appreciate the axe much more if you had to work hard for it. And I think, in a way, that this emotion will transfer into your playing. But what the hell, I've had too much wine tonight ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:53 pm 

Remember the feeling well.... think most of us have been there, if it's any consolation? ... not a lot I can add to what the others have said... good luck

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:22 pm 

Cheap and Rickenbacker don't even belong in the same lexicon...

It took 38 years for me to ge my Ric... and they retain their value. Anything under about $700 would be unusual and then you would need to have it checked out.

What do you play currently? Are you a beginner? Maybe you should shop around...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:49 pm 

I'd like a cheap Mercedes McLaren SLR, but it ain't gonna happen!

Yes, there are the extremely rare cases of someone selling a guitar and not really knowing what they have. Incredible deals still do happen, but in this age of the internet, they are getting few and far between.

So by and large, you get what you pay for. In terms of Rickenbacker, there's nothing "cheap" about these instruments (though I'd hardly classify them as expensive). You're paying for a high-quality American-made product. Compare Rickenbacker's prices with other guitars made in the US, and you'll see just how much of a deal they really are. Even more so when you factor in the amount of actual physical human work that goes into each instrument, even when you compare with some so-called "custom shop" instruments. So while you generally get what you pay for, with Rickenbacker it's safe to say you get a lot more: In terms of quality and craftsmanship for dollar spent, you end up getting quite a bargain.

Bottom line: Save those pennies. These guitars are worth every single one you spend.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:57 pm 

My grandpappy used to have a sayin' that I continue to live by to this day > > > "Buy the BEST . . . Buy it ONCE". When you finally find a RIC that's "THE ONE" when you eventually have the money > > > Buy that one ! ! !

Board index » General Forum