Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Help me find my tone
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:19 am 

I'm new to the world of Rickenbacker, having spent the past 15 years in the Fender/Gibson Matrix. Fortunately, I took the red pill and I'm beginning to think outside my self-imposed box.

While playing my Les Paul and Telecaster, I find myself searching for a certain tone that they allow me to approach, but never quite attain to my satisfaction: Chimey jangle with a ton of sustain. The Tele has jangle, but lacks sustain. The Les Paul gets me closer. It's an LP Classic with those high-output ceramics. There's a good about of chime and sustain with these pickups, but I want more. I love hearing notes ring out and kind of float over everything, just hanging there seemingly forever, Does that make sense? It's tough to describe.

So my question: Which Rickenbacker gets me closer? And if the answer is "any of them," what models specifically should I explore?

Post subject: Re: Help me find my tone
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:37 am 

I would respectfully suggest searching out one of the 650 models. I think it would fit the bill very nicely.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:23 am 

Certainly, a 650 Ric sounds like it may suit you nicely.

I would like to suggest a 21 fret, 2 pickup, semi-hollow model as your ideal choice however. A 360V64 has all the chime and jangle some people associate with Rickenbacker, but it can also get positively MEAN when you want. The sustain and resonance are astounding. So you have plenty of chime, twang, and sustain on tap.

=noel=

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:28 am 

660 or 650C... The pickups and maple body will get you your chime. Unfortunately Ric doesn't make a guitar with mass anything like a LP. The neck-through will get you a decent amount of sustain, as will the string-thru bridge of the 650, but the bodies have fairly small profiles and aren't very deep... thus low mass. Great on the shoulder, nice quick, sharp pick response, but lacking a bit on sustain IMO.

Maybe this is another one for the "What I'd like to see" thread... a 680? that's based on a 650 or 660 but with a 2" body depth and a slightly larger profile? Make it a 21 fret neck and I'll buy a couple.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:24 am 

I've got a "knock-off" of sorts that is 2" thick solid-body (a little more than 2" in some spots). Never have to worry about the headstock dipping downward. LOL

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:50 am 

Yes, well, i think the a 650 would suit you very nicely. Strangely enough, i kinda got what you meant by the whole tone thingy, andi think the 650 should do it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:30 am 

hey !
i'll agree with the others : 650 / 660 will do.
just try ANY solidbody from Rickenbacker.
We're many here to think they all rule!
But you gotta find the one that suits you...

Rock on then

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:35 pm 

What about a 330 with Hi-gain pickups? I've heard Kenny Howes get both jangle and sustain out of just such a guitar -- and some pretty mean tones, too.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:37 am 

Kevin, Didn't your band play at this year's IPO?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:48 am 

stoppinby,

Do you live close to a store that sells RICS? I think you have to play some to see what you want. I have a RIC 360/6 with high gain pickups and 360/12 with vintage pickups. If it is jangle you want, I would have to pick the 12 string. It was the sound of the break on "turn, turn, turn" that got me playing the guitar again. I went to the Experienc Music Project in Seattle, and I saw one of Roger McGuinn's RIC 370/12 string and heard "the sound." I do not know if that is the sound that you are looking for, but with the 12 string effect of the octave strings create a tonal complexity and harmonic, rippling, wave-like, soring, melodic, wash that is "the sound" If I could only have one guitar, it would be the RIC 12.

Dan

Board index » General Forum