Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Rickenbacker 325C64 and M5 Mastery Bridge
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 am 

Hello there,

This is my first post on this forum, so hello everybody!

I recently got my first Rickenbacker ever. It's a 325C64 in Jetglo and as you might guess, I'm in love!

However, the rattling/buzzing that comes from the roller bridge is some kind of a turn-off. If it didn't buzz, it would be the perfect guitar for me... heavenly tone, short scale (my hands are small), EXTREMELY good looking, Beatles mojo...

Well, I also own a Fender Jazzmaster. The original bridge is terrible and it's well know for its buzzes and even worst, when playing hard and fast, the strings cannot keep in place and keep jumping out of the saddles. So, I found the best bridge I've ever come across. It's the offset Mastery Bridge. It totally transformed my experience on the Jazzmaster.

Well, Mastery Bridge also offers a bridge for Rickenbacker guitars. I was wondering if any of you have tried it on a 325C64. As the guitar is way smaller than most Ricks, I'm not sure if it'll fit properly without any mods.

Any feedback would be great, even if you don't own a 325C64 but have tried the Mastery bridge on a different model.

Many thanks!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster Standard X 2

Amps:
Orange Rockerverb 100w MKIII
Orange PPC212OB
Orange PPC212C
Orange Micro Dark
Orange PPC 108
Orange Crush Mini
Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 325C64 and M5 Mastery Bridge
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 am 

I owned a 325c64. I don't know about the Mastery Bridge. I can share my experience with the 325c64. Before I bought mine I consulted the dealer who knew a lot about this model. He showed me a "fix" to reduce the buzzing of the roller bridge, using very small pieces of masking tape between the roller and the bracket to reduce the rattle/buzzing. I had considered buying a standard RIC bridge and replace the roller bridge, but he said to see how the guitar is as it comes first.

He also provided additional comments:

First, he reminded me that the 325c4 is a very accurate replication of the guitar John played live and in the studio. Which means it has whatever shortcomings that John's had and, as much as possible, mimics the sound and tone of John's. Changing out the bridge might change that sound, and for a lot of people the reason to own this model is because it approximates what John played and how it sounded.

My recollection is that the dealer tweaked the rollers with some tiny pieces of masking tape and I really didn't notice much in buzzing or rattling. Plus, I often noodle with my electrics unplugged, and the dealer suggested that any residual buzzing isn't noticeable when plugged in and turned up. I never had a problem with it. I did sell mine a few months ago primarily because I mostly play acoustic now and I never really used the 325c64. A cool guitar nonetheless.

Lastly, I don't know if the Mastery bridge's installation would permanently alter the guitar. I know we usually buy a guitar thinking we'll never sell it, but as with my 325 sometimes your thinking changes. Any permanent change to the 325 will lower the resale value.

Some things to think about. Good luck with yours.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 325C64 and M5 Mastery Bridge
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 am 

+1 on what Took38Years said.

Board index » General Forum