Board index » General Forum

Post subject: RIC's Can Rock-Jingle - Jangle Misconception
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Hey guy's just wanted to talk and see if anyone else here was as frustrated as me with the whole association with the clean jingle jangle only tone of Rickenbacker's.

It drives me nuts that other guitar owners of Les Paul's or Stratocasters seem to think that Ric's are only good for that jingle jangle sound and nothing else.

I personally play distorted blues music on my Ric and I've played such music as Clapton, Allman Brothers, Neil Young, Gary Moore, S.R.V.,Skynyrd, Buddy Guy and so on and I have nailed each tone perfectly with slight tweaks to the amp or a pedal.

My point is I've owned and played every guitar brand at one time or another and the Ric 360 happens to be my favorite, because of it's versatility and ease of play, but by most other blues or rock players it is shunned and avoided because of the jingle jangle sound it gained it's fame for back in the 60's by the Byrds and the Beatles.

Now granted I do absolutely love the jingle jangle tone, I think we all do, but it is not by any means the limit of Rickenbacker tones, some think it's a sin to play a Ric distorted and I think it's just unleashing the beast within....and I love the varied tones it can get.

What do you guy's think about this "Jingle Jangle" only label put on Rics?

Post subject: Re: RIC's Can Rock-Jingle - Jangle Misconception
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am 

If you have ever seen any early photo's of Stevie Ray, he played a Rickenbacker "Capri" model. I watched a documentary on him and he played that Ric "Capri" in the early stages of his career!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am 

If anyone ever had any doubt a Rick can drive the bus: Mike Campbell.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 am 

Boy, did you strike a chord with me. :!:
I have been saying this now for many years to anyone who will listen.

I have read that they have a "flat response" or all frequencies sounding at the same volume, if I understand this correctly. This design has been used throughout the company's history and affords the beautiful "Hi-Fi" sound.

This is different than most other guitars that are ''voiced" for a particular use, which makes me think that Ricks were not originally thought of as a "special" guitar, but a sincere attempt at making the electric guitar a serious musical instrument at a time when it was probably considered a novelty. The evolution of the electric guitar took an unexpected turn with the embrace of a distorted amp tone which emphasized certain frequencies over others. The more complex Rickenbacker hi-fi tone design overloaded the preamps to cause a less smooth distortion sound. However, this design made them ideal for what is known as jangle with the 12 string being the ultimate expression. I don't wish to spread myths here. This is mostly my opinion.

I base what I am saying on interviews in print or on video that the CEO did. I wish I could site them all but I don't have the links available. Of course, I could have misinterpreted what he was trying to say, so I don't wish to put words in his mouth. I would also like to say I am a huge fan of the man, even though we have never met.

Because of this and the large differences in tone between Rickenbacker and other "mainstream" guitars. My point is that, at times, I have that I should think of a Rickenbacker as being designed to be used as I use them - as my main "lead" distortion guitar.

Certainly, I am free to use what I want anyway I want. I would just like to have the company's design support. Am I working against the design? It bothers me that so few "pros" use them this way and I question myself, am I playing them because of my need to be different or because they sound great? And they do sound great to me.

I have fallen in love with these instruments and I will continue to use them in this way. I do however, wish that they would make a new design or update of a guitar with this mainstream design intent. Sort of an ultimate everyman guitar. The company is uniquely position to do this as their reputation is solid gold where other companies are suffering some tarnishing in this area. The market is ripe for a renewal of interest in and validation of the electric guitar.

The 650s are close to this guitar (I own 2 plus a 260), and they are wonderful. But for some reason, I still crave more. I am rarely satisfied. :oops:

Again, all of this is strictly my opinion and nothing more.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:48 pm 

I saw that I was expressing doubts in what I said above so I'll add to my already lengthy post with these thoughts:

I think Rickenbacker makes the most authentic, original and beautiful electric guitars, bar none. They don't get all the credit they deserve. Every instrument that I have ever used by them has never ceased to impress me with the notion that these guitars have no equal. This has to be a milestone achievement in luthiery. I sure wish there was a resource to show the inside story on the history of the thinking behind these innovative designs.

The superior quality doesn't stop with the build. The instruments are so serious and well thought out that their fidelity and musicality simply are not matched by any other brand. I admit that I am not an expert in this regard and I may sound like a fanatic, but I am proud to be a Rickenbacker player. I always think that I am in on one of the best kept secrets in the world. And it is a delight to show people how good they sound against established brands in any style of playing. Nothing rankles me more than to hear that Ricks are one-trick ponies.

Such great guitars deserve better. Let's get the word out.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:06 pm 

The "jingle-jangle" concept comes from the 12 strings. When most players I speak to discuss Rickenbacker, they talk about 12 strings and basses. I made an album a few years ago called After Twelve which was interesting in concept: every instrumental was my attempt to do something new/innovative. In retrospect, I'd like to delete that era from my discography.

I use my Les Paul for Les Paul parts. I use my Rickenbacker for Rickenbacker parts. There was a time when I wanted to blur those lines, but I save a lot of time picking up the right guitar for the right part rather than cringing later on.

By the way, when I saw R.E.M. on their last tour, Peter Buck used his 360 for the entire show.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:43 pm 

True, RICs don't sound like a Les Paul or anything else but themselves.
My idea is to bring a new tone to these styles thereby opening up a new sonic door that will, hopefully, bring in new inspiration. When I do a cover, I don't want to sound like the original. When I adapt a technique or style, I don't want to regurgitate it by rote.
What I am after in playing a Rick is to sound different. In this way develop my own voice in the sea of music that has been done and done again.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm 

I spent several decades in a bunch of cover bands trying to emulate this sound or that sound, efforts which usually ended in frustration. Depending on the band, I wanted to be Glen Campbell on "Southern Nights", Bob Wootten on "Orange Blossom Special", Lindsay Buckingham on "Rhiannon", James Burton on "Suspicious Minds" and even Scotty Moore on "Don't Be Cruel".

It didn't work. Even if I took 4 or 5 guitars along to the gig, I just could not be all those different gentlemen, each playing their own unique style.

Finally, I figured out what worked for me.

Be "Me".

What I do now is look for the sound that is close to the original- an emulation, if you will- but is still all "me".

As a result, the Ric 370/12 gets used on Southern Nights AND Rhiannon, my Gretsch works fine on Suspicious Minds and even on Folsom Prison Blues. Even my newish T5z steps in for "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" or "Come Monday` I play the notes as close as I can, but the actual sound is no longer trying to be slavishly like the original.

And no one seems to mind. Not even a little bit.

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 pm 

That's great RicVic. I think being a good musician is being one's best. That's all anyone should ask for.

I just love playing Rickenbacker. They are such wonderful guitars that don't get all the credit they deserve. I suppose because they are so original and don't follow the herd.

I really feel proud playing them for most of what I do. They sound terrific. The harmonics are so rich and full. Like no other guitar. Simply the best.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 am 

My favorite band is Yes. I just watched a video of other famous musicians that reacted to them the way I did.

What I got from the video is a reminder of what my musical values are.

In 1972 Yes were doing things differently than every other band. For one thing, the bass was out front in the music. This required a bass capable of pronounced treble. This must have been considered something you never do as bass was not designed to stand in front of the music. A trebley bass in front of the music? This simply was not done. And for good reason. HA!

Bravo Yes.

And bravo Rickenbacker. Don't people know your not supposed to use Rickenbacker for high distortion lead work?!

Board index » General Forum