Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Mr. Hall
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:45 am 

I'm considering having one of my 4004cii's ( I have 4)converted to an 8 string bass. You had responded that Ric may offer these at some point and I appreciate that. Do you think the standard 4004cii could be converted to an 8 string (4 stings with octaves)? I Know that this would render the warrenty invalade and I would not assume that you are "recommending this". I would use the same guage strings that were offered on the 4003 8.
I guess the real question should be..is there an 8 string bridge available similar to the stock bridge? and if the headstock was converted using matching guitar tuners for the octives and a new nut installed..would this work??

thanks!
mitch

Post subject: Re: Mr. Hall
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:58 pm 

Mitch, since you'd be modifying a stock instrument, I would doubt Mr.Hall would want to get involved, but if you e-mail me directly, I'll tell you what I know about such a conversion. It has been done. My e-mail is:djwilder60@sbcglobal.net

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think is possible to convert a 4004 to an 8 stringer but I'm not sure how good the results would be. An ABM or Schaller bridge would likely work although getting the string spacing right might be a challenge.

Also, it's desirable to have a little extra spacing to work with- maybe not as much as our current 5 stringer but perhaps an extra 1/8th inch. Obviously that's something you won't be able to do on a conversion.

Chek with Dane there: he and several other have had much more experience with such conversions than I have.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 am 

Thanks aceonbass and Mr. Hall for your response..the necks on my cii's are alittle wider than on the 4033 8 string basses. I hear what your saying about bridges..Schaller does'nt make an 8 string bridge to my knowledge so i'll check ABM..I'also e-mail aceonbass!

ps. I'd need a strong sedative to monkey with one of my beauties!!!

Board index » General Forum