Board index » General Forum

Post subject: New Ric
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 am 

guys,
help me out here: Getting rid of my Fender Telecaster. Need a "companion" for my 4003 (MapleGlo). Up in the air about a 620 or a 330 (MapleGlo also). Any input? I do like the fact that the 620 has the Ric-O-Sound. The 330 (as you all know) is mono. Not that stereo / mono is going to drive my decision......

Andy

Post subject: Re: New Ric
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:46 am 

The 620 will have more sustain and sparkle, the 330 will have a warmer, more airy tone due to the differences between set-neck/neck-through and solid/semi-hollow. The 330s also got a much larger and thicker body so keep that in mind when considering right-arm comfort with the way you play.

So decide based on the "ideal tone" you hear in your head and your particular playing style.

But you can't go wrong either way, both are phenomenal instruments.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:10 am 

I played Telecasters primarily for about twenty years (after Gibson archtops for the twenty before that).

600 series Rickenbackers are Tele killers. I never want another Fender, or Gibson (though I still keep a Heritage archtop around - but my 650C actually gets a better Jazz sound- 24 frets and all)!

I would love a 620/12, but before that, I'm trying to gets the beans up for a MG 360/6 I played inna store today. Whoo-eee, what a beautiful guitar. I've always preferred 330's, but THIS 360 is singing its siren call to me.

That aside, my Tele sensibilities really like solid Rickenbackers, especially in FG.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:59 am 

The only experience I have with playing a Rickenbacker guitar, was an '89 fireglo 330 that I once had. It was a very sweet guitar, I regret selling it.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:12 am 

guys,
thanks for the helpful input. I actually ordered a 620 two weeks ago from MF. They've pushed the shipping date out twice, and today they moved it out another month to Dec 1st. I know it is worth the wait, but in the mean time I was contemplating the 330 instead. They are both (and all of the models for that matter), phenomenal instruments. They are a piece of art. Beautifully crafted. I have owned 6 Ric basses, and none have disappointed me in any way. That's why I will not regret any decision. Would still like more input if possible......

Andy

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:49 am 

The 620 will have more sustain.
I like sustain.

Hey, we'll help you all we can.

You'll either wind up with a guitar that suits your needs, or OURS!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:59 am 

Arondau,

The 620 will come closer to the Tele sound than a 330, if that's important. As posted earlier it'll have more treble and sustain than the mellower 330. 330's have a transparent tone and killer good looks.
The 620 will probably be a better replacement for a Tele. You'll have an adjustment period, but I bet you'll enjoy it! IMHO 620's are under-rated for many applications. I love my 620-12. Good luck!

Eggman

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:56 am 

One thing that has always creased me in the past is when non ric users flame Rics and margainalise them by insisting that these guitars are limited in scope of sound and versatility when compared to other makes. This sort of comment frequently crops up in guitar magazines here in the UK, where 9/10 times they are praised but always with a caveat that they are a very specific sound maybe not to everybodys liking.... then a month or so later will praise the likes of a tele as a good all round guitar, not that it isn't but then so is a Ric. I think it's because it must be set in most guitarists psyche that these guitars are only good for jangle. Well....at least we know eh!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:27 am 

Rich,

While I agree with Pete Townshend about Rickenbacker necks: "..The neck shape is a bit restrictive..", I also feel that they're under-rated for versatility!
And of course they LOOK beautiful, sound different, cost less (Ever price LP Standards or ES-335's lately?)and are so WELL made as to invite comparison. I wish more folks would give 'em a chance.

Eggman

Board index » General Forum