Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Rickenbacker control layout-easy to change?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 am 

For some reason, even though Rickenbackers controls ar arranged more logically to my head , i.e front two nearest the neck are for the neck pickup, vol and tone, and the back two are for the bridge pickup vol and tone , my right hand gets really confused. Maybe its a lifetime playing with conventional Gibson layout ?
Why are they different , and can the Rickenbacker knob layout be easily moved without any wire length adjusting? I'm only curious at the moment .
Maybe I should move the Gibson's knobs instead.......

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker control layout-easy to change?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:57 pm 

Back in 1981 I changed the layout of the '76 4001 bass I had then. I thought it would be easy to get used to since I had other 4-control instruments. But after a couple of months, I didn't like it and changed it back. One of those things that makes a Rickenbacker what it is.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 pm 

"Conventional" is what you're used to. I've owned a lot of a guitars, but never an electric Gibson. The layout that always made the most sense to me was Gretsch's 6120. But hey... whatever floats your boat.

If you remove the knobs by loosening the set screw on them, they reveal a hex nut that fixes the pot to the pickguard. Remove the pickguard, remove those hex nuts, and you can probably put whichever pot in whatever hole you want.

Wires might not be long enough -- but it's free to try.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 am 

I took my Rickenbacker 620 to a guitar shop and had them move the knobs and pots around for me to put the volume controls on top and the tone controls on the bottom. I'm not particularly good with a soldering iron, so I had it done for me. I don't know if any wires had to be re-soldered.

Board index » General Forum